KoAloha vs. Kamaka

Nuprin

Reaction score
I was bored last night so I figured I'd do a comparison between my Kamaka tenor and KoAloha tenor. Both are strung with D'Addario Pro Arte strings. I'm actually waiting on some Worth clears (which I'm hoping will arrive today) which I'm going to use on the KoAloha to differentiate it more from the Kamaka.

I can hear a pretty big difference between the two ukes in person but it's much more subtle in the video.

Boy, I have a hard time hearing the difference. Granted I just jumped back and forth from the beginning of each segment to compare the sounds and I can't really hear the difference. I'll try to hear the entire clip later today. Thanks for posting. Great playing too! The only real difference I can hear for now is the KoAloha putting out greater volume.

Unfortunately I have a friend who is borrowing my nicer microphones so I was stuck using an Audio Technica AT2020USB. Not bad, but not quite clear enough to hear the nuances between the two ukuleles. In person, the Kamaka has a more prominent low end but not as much high end as the KoAloha.

I actually think that from this video I may like the kamaka better.. I'm trying to decide between a kamaka concert and a koaloha superconcert right now.. I know those are tenors but which do you prefer? I live in Dallas, so it's near impossible to be able to play both of those brands before I buy. I have a koaloha that I love but I've never played a kamaka.

I actually think that from this video I may like the kamaka better.. I'm trying to decide between a kamaka concert and a koaloha superconcert right now.. I know those are tenors but which do you prefer? I live in Dallas, so it's near impossible to be able to play both of those brands before I buy. I have a koaloha that I love but I've never played a kamaka.

If you already have a KoAloha, I'd go with the Kamaka. I have both, and love both equally.

And I agree with you, I think I prefer the Kamaka by a very slim margin in that sound sample, but they both sound great.

...which do you prefer?

With the Pro Arte strings I like the Kamaka better. The sound is more balanced to my ears. I switched the KoAloha to Worth clears last night...now it's a tough call as to which I like more.

The Kamaka sounded fuller to me. I'd like to hear both with Worth clears. With both using the same strings then you can compare equally. It would also settle the Worths vs the Pro Artes.

Just an opinion. Very nice playing.

Thx

Top Bottom