Martin Uke

c.b.fiddler

Reaction score
This was given to me by my father for my birthday. I am a professional violinist in Atlanta and an apprenticing violin-maker - I know nothing of Ukuleles! This is a beautiful Uke that I do not want to sell (it belonged to my Great Grandfather.) I have done some research and think it is a C.F Martin 3K uke. Do you guys know more about the history and collectability of such an instrument?

I am an 8 yr member of Maestronet.com - a forum for the violin family. There is so much expertise over there I though a Ukulele forum may be able to shed some more light on this.

Thank you in advance!
Chris

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

Hey Chris,

I'm no expert, but the older Martin's are generally very desirable. Especially the fancier ones (like the 3k). I can't say for sure that's the model (I'm sure others can chime in). But I can say that you've got a great instrument to keep and play (read that, "do not, under any circumstances, sell that ukulele"). :)

-John

Oh, one more thing...you probably want to stick with lower tension strings, like Martin's or D'Addario's. Higher tension strings like Worth's may be dangerous given the (probably) light bracing on the Martin. When your instrument was built, there was only one kind of string...low tension.

-John

Thank you!

The research I did at the Geocites website claims that the 3K with diamond inlays is a fancier older model that was first available in 1918. There is no serial number to trace anywhere on/in the uke that I can see - just the Martin stamp on the back of the headstock and inside looking directly into the soundhole.

Couple more pics:
IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

Last edited:
Hi GX9901,

I just noticed your edit - Wow. I thought $5000 was a high estimate. This uke doesn't have any cracks or repairs.

Deach,

Sure thing - I don't think I want this ratty old shrunken guitar anyway.:D Send yours first and then mine will follow shortly.:rock:

I promise I didn't come over here to show off - I use to play with this uke when I was kid. I, nor my dad, had no idea that it was a Martin until this weekend when he gave it to me and I started taking a closer look at it.

If you have a real strad - I might consider a trade :p

Last edited:
The only thing I got from my dad was bad skin and hypertension. :(

if all else fails email the company, they are still around, and im sure they would appreciate that one of their 80+ year old ukes is still alive and kicking.

Great Advice H-drix,

I just got off the phone with Martin and they were able to place this uke between 1923 and 1932 due to the tuning pegs and diamond shape inlays. It seems there is no way to narrow it further due to the lack of serial numbers at this early date. Still - it puts me closer to a production date than before I read your suggestion.

Thanks!
Chris

You got a great uke there. For goodness sake don't just put it on display as an "heirloom," play the heck out of it!

Oh yeah, and remember what Krusty the Clown sez: "The ukulele is the thinking man's violin." :rolleyes:

The only thing I got from my dad was bad skin and hypertension. :(

I feel ya bro. My dad gave me a gene that says "Dead at 51 from a heart attack." I'm less than three weeks from my 50th birthday. :(

Instruments were meant to be played. I am going to use the wonderful resources you guys have posted her to learn the uke. I play guitar as well as violin, so hopefully I'll pick it up quickly.

A beautiful uke and in wonderful shape! Martin made both a koa and mahogany line of ukes in varying levels of ornamentation with the 5K (koa) being the most ornate (at least for a Martin - they have always been pretty restrained in that regard). The koa ukes are worth more than the mahogany ukes and your instrument is very collectable. Treat it like the fine instrument that it is, but play it! Congratulations!

Why can't I get something cool like this from my family? Yup, you got the strad of the ukulele world there, now play that thang! :rock:

If you're wanting some more information on the history or specifics of your 3K, then you may want to ask about it over the the Flea Market Music forum:

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bulletin/default.asp

There are several people on that board who are into vintage ukes.

The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (UMGF) also has several vintage experts, but registration to post may take a few days. They have a sub-forum that deals with ukes and other 4-string instruments:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/forums/8

Top Bottom