compensation or not 6 string tenor

funaddict

Reaction score
For reasons I no longer remember, I decided on a 6 string Kamaka style tenor for my first-ever build, from scratch. I've read up on compensation for saddles to hopefully build the best sounding uke I can. My question is this: Is it appropriate to compensate the saddle on a 6 string or for that matter 8 string instrument if one or more of the paired strings are octaves? It seems like you'd have to compensate (longer) for the lower octave string but the opposite direction for the higher octave string. I'm sure it can be done, and probably already has been, but at the cost of having a radical saddle. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone and go with a straight, uncompensated saddle.

I'm not intending on starting an intense discussion on the technicalities and theory of string compensation (I've read most of Kawika's Left brained lutherie pages). I'm just curious on how this problem is approached by builders nowadays. The few examples of 6 string tenors I have had at my perusal were both Kamakas from the '60's and I don't think they were building compensation into any of their instruments back then.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.
Alan

Top Bottom