Justifying another tenor

UkeDan77

Reaction score
Notice how I said, justifying another tenor and not another uke. I already justified getting another uke. I really would like to get a Flea as my all around use everywhere (beach, park, travel) uke. My other two ukes are tenor sized and I was planning on getting a soprano uke as my flea. However, the more I think about it, I really enjoy my tenors and am not sure I could get used to a smaller size uke. Does it make sense for me to keep getting the same size ukes or should I take the leap and branch out to a different size?

Be bold! Go smaller! Variety is always fun to mess around with. Also: I don't think the jump from tenor to soprano is as bad as some folks make it out to be. It takes a bit of time, but it's really not too bad (and if you get one of those long-neck sopranos, or even just a soprano with more than 12 frets, the transition is easier).

I vote for smaller (although I am obviously really biased when it comes to decreasing ukulele size).

Sceptre = Top Performance Ukulele (best sound)
Thinline = Travel Ukulele (thinner sound)

You need something in the midrange. Yes, another tenor is absolutely justified. Remember that you also need emergency spares so make room for three more. And remember that different tops create different tones. You'll need one of each group with Spruce, Cedar and Koa (and/or Mahogany).

All in all, you need at least twelve.

Oh, and I forgot, you need to double that quantity if so you have a group in high-G and another group in low-G.

Shame on me for letting it slip my mind.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no!
NEVER attempt to justify another ukulele (especially a tenor). That leads to the illogical, yet irreparably damaging, notion that a ukulele needs to be justified. It simply is. Once you start questioning why another one is acceptable in your (or anyone else's) life, you will start to question everything else around you. Laws. Politicians. The gods. Social order. Evolution. The superiority of cats. The banality of Anne Coulter.

It's a downhill slide from there. Pretty soon you're at the bottom of the philosophical heap, unable to come up with a compelling reason to buy that extra uke and waste your money on petty necessities like food, rent and the new Richard Dawkins' book. Or maybe the latest collection of remasterd Beatles' CDs (both are, of course, necessities).

Don't go there. You have been warned.

Take my advice: get a new uke every time an old one starts to sound like its strings need changing. That way you transmute dull into bright, like a musical alchemist. Never, ever, change strings. Sell the uke instead. But always replace it first with a new one. And never, ever attempt to justify another one.

Whenever I want to justify a new uke or guitar, my Mom asks me one question.
"Can you afford it?"
If the answer is "yes", then the justification argument is moot.
You want it, buy it. We only get one shot at life, you might as well strum thru it.

LOL..thanks for the replies! However, getting a new uke isn't the issue..i'm just trying to see if it makes sense to keep buying the same size (tenor) or should I experiment with a smaller size (soprano). I just kind of see it that if I already know I like tenors why disturb a good thing, I should just keep buying tenors but another part of me is saying I should diversify a bit. If you haven't noticed from my previous posts already, I'm very indecisive..LOL

BTW, SailingUke I LOVE your avatar...do you mind me asking where you go it from?

while i don't think having many tenors is a bad thing, i think you should try different sizes. i was lucky to start with a soprano and got a tenor later. just today, i bought a concert (won't have it for a few days tho :'().

Why not get a concert Flea? Different than a tenor but not as drastic of a change as tenor to soprano.

I never really had issues between soprano, concert, tenor and baritone sizes.
Yeah, they're different. But the minor adjustment you make between each size is not hard, at least in my experience.
It's the same instrument with the same tunings and fingerings.

What does a Soprano have that a Tenor doesn't?
-Better portability
-Different tone, supposed to be a more 'traditional' uke sound

Do you feel that you're missing out on these features by sticking solely to tenors?

A tenor Fluke and a KoAloha Super Concert. And a KoAloha tenor to fill the gap between the Sceptre and the Super Concert. And then another Fluke so you'll have one in high g and one in low G. And then one of the other "K"s to remind you why you like KoAlohas so much. There ya go, you've just got to use logic and common sense. Works for me every time.

Jude

Top Bottom