PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian music ukulele jams @ Andronico's in San Francisco?

mds725
04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
This item was in the Leah Garchik's column in the April 28 edition of the San Francisco Chronicle:

"A group of singers and ukulele players perform/rehearse island songs in the cafe at Andronico's in San Francisco every Monday night."

Has anyone been to this event or know anything about it? Thanks!

russ_buss
04-30-2010, 07:45 AM
This is probably the residuals of a group that used to meet at Kaleo Cafe on Irving street not too far from Andronico's. Kaleo Cafe closed down sometime last year. The group had a nice following, usually about 10 to 15 participants on any given Monday night. They played mostly older style Hawaiian tunes and standards.

mds725
05-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks, russ_buss. I take a class in traditional Hawaiian ukulele music on Monday nights (from 6:00 - 7:30) not far from Candlestick Point (http://www.kapalakiko.com/ (http://www.kapalakiko.com)), and I was wondering if people would still be playing at Andronico's if I rushed over there after my class.

doccam
05-17-2010, 08:20 AM
the current andronicco's group is a continuation of the group that met at the kaleo cafe on irving. the leader of the group is derrick chang, who has been leading this session for the last 8 years or so.
the last time i was there, we played from 7 to 8:30. trying to get to andronicco's from around candlestick probably would not be worth the effort.

mds725
05-20-2010, 03:12 PM
the current andronicco's group is a continuation of the group that met at the kaleo cafe on irving. the leader of the group is derrick chang, who has been leading this session for the last 8 years or so.
the last time i was there, we played from 7 to 8:30. trying to get to andronicco's from around candlestick probably would not be worth the effort.

Thanks for the update, doccam. I'l be moving up to the next class level (8:00 - 9:30), which doesn't help much, but maybe I'll get a chance to drop in if there's a Monday when i don't have a class.