PDA

View Full Version : Mainlands???

mangorockfish
04-29-2010, 04:18 PM
What has happened to all the hoopla about Mainlands? Noone has posted anything about Mainlands in a while. Are they passe' now or what??

cornfedgroove
04-29-2010, 04:24 PM
everyone's saving their money for the UWC where they can buy 10 at once I guess...

They definitely arent passe'...conversation is just cycled onto something else right now, it'll come back around.

DeG
04-29-2010, 04:27 PM
How many times can one answer the same question,"What uke should I buy?", with the same answer,"Get a Mainland!" ?

rasputinsghost
04-29-2010, 04:28 PM
In almost every thread that asks for uke recs, mainland gets suggested.

haolejohn
04-29-2010, 05:13 PM
What has happened to all the hoopla about Mainlands? Noone has posted anything about Mainlands in a while. Are they passe' now or what??
It is just the fad has died down a little.2 years ago it was all about pono then kala then mainland. What is next? I am going to predict kamoa.

portlandjosh
04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Just got my Mainland a few weeks ago, and I am still in love!

Interestingly, when I went to a Portland uke event (with somewhere around 40 people there), I was the only one with a Mainland! Lots of Flukes/Fleas, Ponos, Kalas and Lanikais. Saw only one KoAloha. Maybe a few Martins. Seems like the Mainland craze hasn't hit here yet.

phanzo
04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
How many times can one answer the same question,"What uke should I buy?", with the same answer,"Get a Mainland!" ?

Exactly. I got kinda tired of writing it. And I love my Kala so much that I now suggest both, although I still think Mainland is better quality.

And I agree with PortlandJosh, I went to a uke meetup here in Phoenix and all of them had Kalas except one Kamaka and one G-string. They're a bunch of older folks but that is neither here nor there. I talked about my Mainlands and they didnt know what I was talking about. They obviously dont havng out here. Schmucks. :D

ukantor
04-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Still love my Mainland concert.

John Colter

Captain_Lovehandles
04-30-2010, 02:19 AM
When the Mainland banjolele hits, you'll be hearing plenty I bet.

brickerenator
04-30-2010, 02:22 AM
I'm still a Mainland fanatic, but I don't visit this forum much anymore.

haolejohn
04-30-2010, 02:31 AM

Here in the South East only me, you Captain, and Hu have them. I do love my one remaining mainland and I hated letting my other one go but i can only play one uke at a time. They are good ukuleles. The cedar top ones are mainlands best IMO.

Captain_Lovehandles
04-30-2010, 03:00 AM
Here in the South East only me, you Captain, and Hu have them.

Cecil, Melissa and DeG have 'em too.

haolejohn
04-30-2010, 03:52 AM

I see said the blind man:) THe thing is after playing yours and Degs, I wanted to get one: How could I forget that? I have even played Melissas as well. Man, I need some coffee.

haolejohn
04-30-2010, 03:53 AM

Of course, I think that only you use it as your main uke right? Cecil is Karmechanic right?

iDavid
04-30-2010, 04:44 AM
Ya know,

Most of the Mainland's have been out of stock for a while, so I am sure the has an effect. Your not going having anyone saying, "I just got a Mainland!" when there aren't so many for sale.

The "Plane-Jane's" are coming soon with slotted headstock and I don't think they will be all that plain. I am debating on getting a Mainland Concert to have in my classroom and fro travel. I have the Tenor, but I seem to be a concert guy.

Mainland's are beyond a good deal, you have to pay close to triple to get a "better" instrument. Even then it may just boil down to a matter of taste.

Captain_Lovehandles
04-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Cecil is Cecilg. (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?14293-Cecilg) He was at the Uke Together, and bought Mike's Mainland cedar pineapple there.

hoosierhiver
04-30-2010, 04:48 AM

I'm hoping to have a proto-type to show off at the UWC.

greg_usa
04-30-2010, 05:22 AM
Shit no! Passe' my asse'. We're just too busy playing em to stop and write about em on the forum ;o)

haolejohn
04-30-2010, 05:32 AM
Cecil is Cecilg. (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?14293-Cecilg) He was at the Uke Together, and bought Mike's Mainland cedar pineapple there.

Ahh ha. I remember now. We need to have another big SEUkers Uke Together.

hoosierhiver
04-30-2010, 07:12 AM

You guys need to rent a bus and come up to the UWC.

ukecantdothat
04-30-2010, 09:30 AM
My guess is that all of us Mainland owners are so busy seeking fame and fortune, there's just no time to blab about how great they are!
:nana::nana::nana:

phanzo
04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm hoping to have a proto-type to show off at the UWC.
I love it when you talk dirty. I can't wait to see that Mike, holy crap. I didnt even know it was an option!!

Link
04-30-2010, 11:42 AM
The whole world knows how awesome Mainlands are. It is now just unspoken knowledge.

nscafe
04-30-2010, 11:46 AM

Where might an event such as this take place?

darkwater
04-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Here in the South East only me, you Captain, and Hu have them. I do love my one remaining mainland and I hated letting my other one go but i can only play one uke at a time. They are good ukuleles. The cedar top ones are mainlands best IMO.
Add one more Mainlander in the South East. Just got a slight second mahogany pineapple soprano. It's getting lots of play time right now.

haolejohn
04-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Add one more Mainlander in the South East. Just got a slight second mahogany pineapple soprano. It's getting lots of play time right now.

Awesome Doug. When you going to get to come to the Tuesday thing again?

haolejohn
04-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Where might an event such as this take place?

Last one was at Sweetwater Creek State park. We would like to have one each summer in a location easily accessible to all. There is a nice state park below atlanta close to macon area that we might try to do this year. I am looking for locations now.

haolejohn
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
You guys need to rent a bus and come up to the UWC.

I think we are mike. I know I'm coming and many others. I just cant come for the whole time.

iDavid
04-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Can I get a ride on that bus?

I assume it stops in Northern Japan ;)

Sambient
05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Ooh!
I finally won one of the Mainland seconds on ebay. Mahog soprano. It just arrived, and I am even more smitten with it than I expected I could be. The sound makes my heart go thump. The satin finish is so sublime I sat there rubbing my face on it like a cat.
Okay, going back to playing now. See ya.

Uke Republic
05-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Mainlands are fantabulous! They get extra mojo from Tookta and Mike. It's like fairy dust.Sorry super magical ukulele dust! I do have a couple of Mainlands in stock if anyone is looking. I'll even through in extra mojo on the order.

darkwater
05-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Awesome Doug. When you going to get to come to the Tuesday thing again?
The band decided to stick to Tuesday night rehearsals, so the Hiram Starbucks is out for me for the time being.

phanzo
05-06-2010, 03:47 PM
2 years ago it was all about pono then kala then mainland. What is next? I am going to predict kamoa.
I agree with John, I think Kamoa's will be the next "big thing." I love my Mainlands but people always want different things. I think Kamoa's will be the new "thing." Assuming, of course, the company is good to deal with. We all know that a major player in Mainland's success is the awesome service that Mike and Tookta provide. Without that kind of service, you can only go so far...

molinee
05-06-2010, 05:24 PM
I think the big problem is you can't get any Mainland ukes... At least some of the more popular ones (red cedar). It's hard to get stoked on them when there not around. They were supposed to be in already but it seems they are further delayed. The Ohana's are in the same boat.... Where's my Ukuleles??? :D

iDavid
05-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Mainlands are fantabulous! They get extra mojo from Tookta and Mike. It's like fairy dust.Sorry super magical ukulele dust! I do have a couple of Mainlands in stock if anyone is looking. I'll even through in extra mojo on the order.

Which ones do ya got?

ichadwick
05-07-2010, 01:24 AM
I think the big problem is you can't get any Mainland ukes... At least some of the more popular ones (red cedar). It's hard to get stoked on them when there not around. They were supposed to be in already but it seems they are further delayed. The Ohana's are in the same boat.... Where's my Ukuleles??? :D
The red cedar is a super wood and a remarkable sustain for a small instrument. Cedar is my favourite tonewood. It's worth the wait.

I suspect a combination of events has caused problems with sources. The increased popularity of the uke, the increased popularity of a particular model or brand, the recession, and environmental pressures probably all contributed. Seen this before in many other areas of interest and industry (tequila, for example). Popularity can be a bitch for manufacturers whose business model was built on a slower, more low-key demand.

cornfedgroove
05-07-2010, 03:22 AM
"Popularity can be a b**** for manufacturers whose business model was built on a slower, more low-key demand."

I think thats the real issue...I remember the last shipment being late as well. My guess is that "late" is the norm

Uke Republic
05-07-2010, 03:25 AM

Makai,Ohana and Mainlands should be in before the months out.Of course customs could slow them down a wee bit.