Pinky gets sore supporting hand, any suggestions?

lancemanion

Reaction score
Hate to sound like a whiner, but I was just playing along to Aldrines flamenco picking lessons and my pinky get really sore trying to support my hand. Anybody have any suggestions to alleviate this? thanks

Hi

A possibility - your right-hand is trying to secure the ukulele and your pinky has to do the job so it gets tired. Maybe you can use a strap and free up your hand (it also makes your left-hand free to move around). Oh, and I mean even while you sit, a strap helps. It does make me look geeky.....

Cheers
Chief

I appreciate the response, but I am already using a neck strap. Getting frustrated, mostly just play through the pain.

Lancemanion - Never play through pain. You'll end up with problems later down the track. I recently had to drop my performance degree due to chronic RSI, which I never thought could happen to me. DON'T DO IT.

I've just started uke but had the same problems as you - does your neck strap support the neck of the ukulele? At first I had strap buttons put in at the base of the uke and also the heel of the neck, but this did practically nothing as I still had to support the instrument with my hands, esp the left hand... try tying your strap around the headstock if possible.

If you're in pain you're doing something wrong - stop and re-evaluate.

When I played guitar, I anchored my hand on the soundboard with my pinky when fingerpicking most of the time. With the uke, I seldom do it and find it as easy - maybe easier - to pick with the pinky curled into my palm or simply loose. Mostly a matter of practice getting used to the different position.

Top Bottom