Kirk Douglas Plays Baritone Ukulele or Tenor Guitar?

Skrik

Reaction score
Kirk Douglas plays in the 1954 Disney film 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

I'm thinking that the tailpiece is indicative of steel strings, as is the sound, which would suggest a tenor guitar. What say ye?

Last edited:
I hear a lot of instruments backing up the tenor guitar strumming. A good movie, I remember seeing it when it came out. In another scene didn't he play a smaller instrument utilizing a turtle shell for the body?

Jude

I go with a tenor guitar, looks too big to be a uke.
Can't really go with the sound, it was probably done at the studio and dubbed in.

Most definitely a tenor guitar.

Speaking of 20k Leagues ...

squidsm.png

Listening one more time, I'm not sure the sound is from the instrument he's holding. I hear bass guitar strings.

Since Kirk is clearly lipsynching, I'd have to guess that the whole song was added in post-production.

If he does not know how to play I'd be surprised since his fingers are actually chording authentic chords. I play tenor guitar as well as six-string guitar. I am sure that the music was added post-production.

If he does not know how to play I'd be surprised since his fingers are actually chording authentic chords. I play tenor guitar as well as six-string guitar. I am sure that the music was added post-production.

This was interesting. I have edited the original post, allowing now that he probably was playing.

I'm Sparticus !

Top Bottom