How important are these features? And what changes would you make for improvements?

Reaction score
This is for a tenor ukulele.
Please copy and paste and add what you think is an improvement on each item. THANKS!!!

Solid spruce top ?
Solid Rosewood sides and back ?
Rosewood fretboard and bridge ?
Genuine bone nut and saddle ?
Gotoh friction tuners ?
20-3/4" overall length ?
9-1/2" body ?
5-1/2" upper bout ?
4-1/2" waist ?
6-7/8" lower bout ?
13-11/16 scale ?
1-5/16" at nut ?

Your scale length is wrong for a tenor.
s/b ~17".
You might check width at the nut as well.
As I look at the rest, you probably don't mean tenor at all.

Your scale length is wrong for a tenor.
s/b ~17".
You might check width at the nut as well.
As I look at the rest, you probably don't mean tenor at all.

YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT! My bad! I accidently copied and pasted the wrong info for a tenor.
With that in mind, now that I already screwed it up, what are ideal specifications on a tenor. I'm sure there are preferences and variables, but what are considered good standards on these things? Especially body measurements.
I am going to Sam asc Music tomorrow and would like a bit more Uke knowledge before I go.
Thank You!

I'd worry more about sound and how it feels over how wide the waist is. Ever luthier has different specs.

The wood composition is largely a personal preference. General consensus seems to be that a solid top WILL make a difference, though I've heard some wonderful all-laminates. The other woods can alter the tone...mahogany quite warm, maple quite bright - most of the others fall in between. Mya Moe has a great description of the different tonal qualities of different woods on their site, but every board is different, so there can still be quite a bit of variability... I think bridge and fretboard is a personal preference. Really, the most important thing is that you like what you hear and feel when you play it. If you can find one locally you're way ahead of the game.

It took me about a dozen ukes to find the formula that works for me, because we don't have much variety here in Portland. I ended up buying a bunch, trying them out, selling them...now I have my favorites that just sing to me.

Genuine bone nut and saddle ?

From my experience, this is a good idea. I had a lot of trouble with the "artificial bone" saddle on the Kala I recently bought. I had it replaced with real bone and it improved the feel and sound for sure.
Probably doesn't matter as much for the nut, mine is still artificial. I'll replace it if I have any trouble with it, but I don't think the nut will impact the sound of the uke near as much as the saddle.

Top Bottom