new oscar schmidt ou6 arrived

lozarkman

Reaction score
WOW My new Oscar Schmidt ou6 Tenor Hawaiian Koa just arrived today. Am I ever impressed. i have read many threads on different makes, pros and cons, and finally settled on an OS. Glad I did. I have played an inexpensive makala baritone (guitar background led me there) for about a year and finally decided to join the GCEA fraternity. So much more uke music available in that tuning. now ready to make the transition. i just love this tenor uke. Great workmanship, beautiful wood, came with Aquila strings, and the fretting seems great. now wondering about the low g tuning, as the g above c tuning on 4th string seems a bit odd? i will have to read some threads on low g tuning now. Great UU we have here. I have learned so much. And laughed my head off at the dog farts/ ukuleles thread. Great stuff. happy strumming and plucking. Lozark

Any chance of some pics/uke p***?

Glad you like it! Oscar Schmidts are kind of hit-and-miss with the uke community, but I've found that Washburn is pretty consistent with making inexpensive decent quality instruments (provided they're the larger types, like the tenor ukes or guitars). So congrats on your upgrade!

I own the same model, and even though I started out on the guitar and still have issues with re-entrant tuning, I've kept the high G (mostly because I'm too lazy to switch to low G). If you do switch to low G, I'd be curious to see how it turns out!

I came from a guitar background too and had thought I'd want low G tuning but when I bought my Kala Jazz arch top tenor it came strung with high G. I asked for them to throw in a low G string set but decided to try the high G tuning first. I really liked it for chords and strumming but when I wanted to play solos I could only use 3 strings. I did eventually restring it in low G and that's how I'm using it now. I will, in the near future buy another tenor (or maybe a concert) with high G tuning so that I'll have both available. I also have a soprano pineapple tuned in D tuning (ADF#B) using a high A.

You really will need two ukuleles! One in high G and one in low G. It is great to be able to go back and forth between ukes depending on what you want to play. I have a whole stack of High G songs, and another stack of Low G songs. It is too hard for me to choose just one.

–Lori

Yes, I will probably end up with two ukus, high and low. But for now i staying with the standard tuning until I get a good feel for that tuning. It just seems a waste to pick on only three strings and not get the lower notes below C. Anyway must have a lot going for it with all the years behind standard tuning and the music available. also most of the teaching videos use standard tuning, so it does make it easier to follow the teaching methods. I download many of uke mikes videos to my hard drive and use them for a lot of follow up ideas and instruction. He is pretty good at detail. I also like aldrine? guerro, but he is not quite as thorough as uke mike. Anyway, thanks for the comments! Happy strumming and plucking. Lozark

congrats on the new uke! i have an oscar schmidt ou4 and, until recently, was going to buy an ou6 lce for my next uke. they do have a nice sound.

Top Bottom