Ukulele from Costco?

t-bone

Reaction score
Hi All,

Costco in L.A. has a Kohala Concert Uke for sale, and I'm trying to understand if it is worth getting for $99 (with case and tuner). It has a model number that seems to be unique to this Costco version (kk-c) and it looks just like the ck-c on the Lanikai webpage.

This Kohala (unlike the other low-end versions on the Lanikai site) boasts curly koa top, sides and back, a rose wood fretboard mother of pearl etc. Oh yeah, and it sounds okay.

My main reservation is that other Kohalas on-line are much less.

What do you think?

Thanks!!

T

Isn't Kohala the Lanikai budget line?

This was originally for sale in the Hawai'i Costcos. I picked one up but it was horrible. I returned it and picked up a Leolani tenor at Sam's Club that was 10x better.FWIW.

The 'ukuleles are the best parts of Costcos in Hawai'i! My friends and I always go right to the music stuff first and jam in the aisle. I've only ever seen an Oscar Schmidt at our Costco. I've heard of the Kohala brand, but I don't know how good they are. The odds of the same model being online for less than what you get at Costco is slim, so the ones you see online are probably of worse quality. Just FYI, the "curly koa" is laminated in that price range so don't get to excited about that! But if it sounds good, go for it.

I saw one of these in a concert size with all the inlay and binding and was shocked, it was cute, and I couldn't find a price or any more of them. It was nicely made and would be a great starter uke. Not a ton of volume but it had crappy strings on it. It would be IMHO a decent starter uke.

It is nice looking, but I think I'm going to pass this time. I got a Kala last week so unless this was a "too good to pass up" situation I can't rationalize getting it.
Thanks for your input!!

T

If its the Costco at Atwater Village, i saw the very same ones. It was weird because the floormodel ziptied to the metal divider sounded fine but the one I took out of the box was way too quiet. It looks nice and looks like it has a decent build. If I had UAS real bad I'd probably pick up one.

I bought one of these ukes recently while on vacation in Oahu. I bought it at the Costco in Hawaii Kai. I just wanted a cheap one to see if I liked playing the uke. (I love it.). I changed the strings to Aquilas which made a significant improvement. This is a pretty good little uke! Made in Indonesia by Lanikai, it doesn't sound 'plinky' until you get to the bottom of the neck where it meets the body. I don't know what kind of geared tuners it has, but it does stay in tune after the initial 'stretch period' of the Aquilas.

For someone who is on a very tight budget, I say go for it.

costco kohala

Aloha, I am new here and to the ukulele world. First trip to the Islands. Am in Kauai for another three weeks and have become a big fan of the uke. I have been dabbling on guitar on and off for 40 odd years and find the uke an extremely happy instrument.

I've been to all the shops here on Kauai and frankly the good ukes are out of my price range, therefore I just bought the Kohala kk-c at Costco in Lihue. It's pretty nice looking. Tomorrow I will buy some good strings (any pointers?) and when I get home I'll put some Watco on it to pretty it up a little. But I think for a crossover fun thingee it should be OK. (I may even bring it to an Apres ski bar when I get to Tahoe later this season.)

The good news about Costco is I can return it pretty much anywhere, so if you guys advise me otherwise before I oil it, I can always put these crappy strings back on and pony up a little more for a better one. Waddya tink? Your thoughts would be welcome. And thnx Gillian for the initial support.

Mele Kalikimaka or happy/merry to y'all for the season and beyond.

ziggyskier

This was originally for sale in the Hawai'i Costcos. I picked one up but it was horrible. I returned it and picked up a Leolani tenor at Sam's Club that was 10x better.FWIW.

I second With Ronnie, I bought a Leolani tenor and it sounds awesome, better than many tenors I have costing much more...it came with extra set of Aquilas tuner foam zipper hard case for $89.00 tone is
spot on on mine...it was a suggestion from my cousin who said to get one...wow ....glad I did, well worth it...Got mine from Keeamoku Walmart.....MM Stan..

The good news about Costco is I can return it pretty much anywhere, so if you guys advise me otherwise before I oil it,...

ziggyskier

According to every uke maker and seller I've talked to, the only parts of the uke that needs to be periodically lightly oiled with a 50/50 mix lemon and linseed oil (per Joe Souza of Kanile'a) are the unvarnished woods of the fretboard and bridge.

I just got back from Oahu where I checked out the ukes again in the Hawaii Kai Costco. Since I bought mine last March, I see Lanikai has changed the shape of the headstock and the Kohala logo.

I thought they only did Kohalas in Eucalyptus?
And I understand they are very very quiet.

Well, thnx MM Stan and Ronnie, I'll hit the Wal-Mart this afternoon and see what they have. I am not a member of Sam's. Sounds like I can stay under 100 bucks -/+ and still get a decent starter "serious" instrument. z

Gillian, Thnx for the finishing heads up. BTW - I just checked musicians friend and they have a Lanikai set that looks almost the same as the kohala I bought with Aquila strings and clip on tuner for $159. z

Top Bottom