Spruce Vs. Mahogany Ukulele

<~/UkeDude\~>

Reaction score
Okay, I searched the forums but I couldn't find anything relating to this, but knowing me I probably looked over a thread. . .
But non-the-less, does anyone know which sounds better?
My friend is really wanting to learn how to play the ukulele, but they only want to spend around $100 on one.
I'm thinkin' a Kala Mahogany ukulele, but would spruce sound better cuz it's more expensive?

Okay, I searched the forums but I couldn't find anything relating to this, but knowing me I probably looked over a thread. . .
My friend is really wanting to learn how to play the ukulele, but they only want to spend around $100 on one.
I'm thinkin' a Kala Mahogany ukulele, but would spruce sound better cuz it's more expensive?

This has come up a few times.

The Kala mahogany is a great starter uke.
No need to invest too much before you know whether you're going to stick with it or not.

The spruce tops are going to resonate differently, since they're solid spruce top with laminate sides and back, while the mahogany is all laminate. So it's a "better" instrument in that way.

Of course, spruce has a pretty distinct sound-- people often compare it to a Spanish guitar. Which is a nice sound, though not necessarily a "traditional" uke sound.

If you look on Youtube, there's a few different videos that compare different ukes' sounds. Ultimately, what sounds best is what you like best-- it's a matter of taste, all very subjective.

But I'd recommend just going for the mahogany. They sound great for an affordable laminate. And if your friend decides he's not so into the instrument after all, less money gone.

A more expensive instrument wouldnt necessarily sound better. Prices can be a huge misleading factor when buying a uke. But for reference between mahogany and spruce, I have solid spruce top that sounds really bright and a laminated mahogany that better emphasizes the lower tones. Most of the time I actually turn to the mahogany rather than the spruce because of a personal preference.

Err. . .yeah, I figured there were other posts haha sry bout that.
Thanks tho for responding, I really appreciate it ^_^
I'll mention what you said to her fer sure :)
Why not just have her join UU?

I'm glad this subject came up. I currently have a Solid Mahogany Tenor and was looking at getting a concert for my next uke. Probably in about 4-6 months. Since I already have mahogany, I was thinking of what other type of wood I could get and have seen lots of spruce tops from MGM. The Kala spruce and the Ohana spruce top with round back has caught my eye recently. Of course, what I really want is a Koa, but I'd like to try to get three ukes in all three sizes at more affordable prices, work on getting better at the uke, see which size I like the best, and then possibly get a high-quality uke in solid koa in that size. So far I've got a soprano and a tenor. Any suggestions on some other woods I might like or should try?

Top Bottom