I finally broke down and bought a Flea...

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
A couple of months ago, I went into a music store about 60 miles from here. I hadn't been in that store in about 10 years, and lo and behold! They sell Fleas and Flukes. I had never played one but had heard good things about both. They had a Natural finish soprano Flea, and a Tiki Concert Flea, as well as a Concert Fluke (the surf design I believe). I was really impressed by both the sound and the feel of the Flea. I didn't care so much for the Fluke. It sounded great, but was a little uncomfortable to hold, in my opinion.
So for the past 2 months I have been wanting one. I couldn't decide what color to get, and hoped to see some in Denver when I was there last week. I went to a really nice store that carries them, but they only had a surf design in the Flea.
So today I just decided to go look at the natural finish again, and ended up pulling the trigger. I got it for a good price (a little less than list), didn't have to pay shipping, supported the local music store, AND got to buy it from the really cute sales person that had originally showed it to me. Bonus!

It sounds really good by the way! It definitely has its own character. The neck is interesting, but I like it quite a bit. I needed something I can take camping this summer anyway!

You won't regret it. I love my Fluke, and hope to add a Flea someday to the flock!

For my next trick... err.. UKE... I think I want a Mainland Cedar Pineapple. But that will be a while off. Probably...

Congrats, Chris. And to follow up on Link: if there comes a moment, like it did for me, and you think of selling it or giving it away (for whatever reason) DON'T!!! Every musician has a list short or long of instruments they wish they never sold....

Many years with that Flea. Taking mine to the beach (again) with my wife today and will post pictures from out last visit last weekend!!! In short, enjoy your Flea!!!

Congrats - that Flea certainly is one of those instruments to hold on to and enjoy - I learned my lesson also.

A couple of months ago, I went into a music store about 60 miles from here. I hadn't been in that store in about 10 years, and lo and behold! They sell Fleas and Flukes. I had never played one but had heard good things about both. They had a Natural finish soprano Flea, and a Tiki Concert Flea, as well as a Concert Fluke (the surf design I believe). I was really impressed by both the sound and the feel of the Flea. I didn't care so much for the Fluke. It sounded great, but was a little uncomfortable to hold, in my opinion.
So for the past 2 months I have been wanting one. I couldn't decide what color to get, and hoped to see some in Denver when I was there last week. I went to a really nice store that carries them, but they only had a surf design in the Flea.
So today I just decided to go look at the natural finish again, and ended up pulling the trigger. I got it for a good price (a little less than list), didn't have to pay shipping, supported the local music store, AND got to buy it from the really cute sales person that had originally showed it to me. Bonus!

Woohoo! Congrats! I have a concert Denim Flea and love it! I also have two concert Flukes! (need to update my .sig--just got the red cowboy Fluke). I love their products--well made and almost indestructible. Wonderful sound! :)

CountryMouse

Congrats on the new Flea!

Mine is the camping uke also. Great combination of size, sound, and durability.

Consider putting some Worth Clears on it and upgrading the tuning pegs to the Grover 4B ($12 from Flea Market Music). Both changes seem small but they have a pretty big impact.

I have been taking my flea everywhere and you will too. Camping is a no brainer. That neck rocks, and IMO is the key to making such a small instrument so playable. You scored on the surf flea too. In less than a month, I have played mine in parking lots, hotel pool deck, beach, car, Panera Bread, et cetera. Not only it plays well, it travels well. I put mine in a back pack when I go on my long distance skateboard rides(longboard).

I've been eyeballing Fleas and Flukes lately. Thinking about the fretboard and tuner options, still. Opinions seem evenly divided.
Congrats on your score!

I think that I shall never see
a uke as nifty as a Flea

Congrats!

JJ

I have been taking my flea everywhere and you will too. Camping is a no brainer. That neck rocks, and IMO is the key to making such a small instrument so playable. You scored on the surf flea too. In less than a month, I have played mine in parking lots, hotel pool deck, beach, car, Panera Bread, et cetera. Not only it plays well, it travels well. I put mine in a back pack when I go on my long distance skateboard rides(longboard).

I'd like to try to figure out if there is a way to take it on bicycle tours. I know it won't fit in my panniers, but I might experiment and see if I can carry it safely with my other gear. Not on trans-continental rides or anything like that (not at FIRST anyway!). It would just be nice to have something to do at night after a long ride besides sleep and play Scrabble on my iPod until I crawl into the tent.

I've been eyeballing Fleas and Flukes lately. Thinking about the fretboard and tuner options, still. Opinions seem evenly divided.
Congrats on your score!

I really like the plastic fretboard. I have plenty of ukes with rosewood or ebony fretboards. Different is good. And in this case, cheaper!

Plastic fretboard for me on the Flea soprano...a tradition that goes back to Harmony ukuleles...

I'd like to try to figure out if there is a way to take it on bicycle tours. I know it won't fit in my panniers, but I might experiment and see if I can carry it safely with my other gear. Not on trans-continental rides or anything like that (not at FIRST anyway!). It would just be nice to have something to do at night after a long ride besides sleep and play Scrabble on my iPod until I crawl into the tent.

I wonder if you can wrap the flea bag strap around a pannier before you attach the pannier to the bicycle? Of maybe strapped to the top of the pannier over the top of the rack....
riding my bicycle to work - off now

I wonder if you can wrap the flea bag strap around a pannier before you attach the pannier to the bicycle? Of maybe strapped to the top of the pannier over the top of the rack....
riding my bicycle to work - off now

I wondered about that. It doesn't weigh very much, so that isn't really a problem. I think as long as it was stabilized well so it wouldn't shift around, and was somehow water-proofed... I'm thinking something like having the uke in a plastic bag inside the Flea bag, which was then strapped onto the rear stack (any touring cyclists will know what I mean by "rear stack"). It might work. I'll experiment. It does seem like kind of a frivolous thing to take on a bike tour.

Not at all frivolous - it sounds like just the thing to make some of the tougher days better.
I wouldn't worry about jostling it around - you'll need to tune up for sure! Maybe make sure to have a little screwdriver
in case the pegs need tightening. Maybe you can pad the uke with some rolled up clothing.
I use plastic grocery bags to wrap my work clothing, towel, and wallet inside my panniers. Should work for the Flea.

Last edited:

If the rest of your gear is strapped to the bike, couldn't you carry the flea in a lightweight nylon backpack? The uke doesn't weigh much, and it would be cool to have along....

Top Bottom