No Ukes at local stoes! Can you suggest online sellers who do good setups etc?

Reaction score
I live an hour from the nearest Sam ash and an hour from another decent store [Guitar store I think?] I called ahead and they just don't have much stock for me to try?
So, I may have to buy online?
It's very important to me to get a well setup instrument!
Any good experiences with online buying and getting a well setup Ukulele?
I know the Ebay Mike guy in Hawaii offers that, but I kind of fear such a long distance ship?=Possible damage.
From past experiences with other items, damage in shipping usually results in lots of lost time with no item and return shipping costs etc.
I'm in SW Florida and was hoping a "GOOD" seller who does a "GOOD" setup may exist in Georgia, Alabama, or somewhere not to long distance?
Also, now i'm back to having to buy with nothing but information-no hands on.
So again I ask for a list of Ukes you all have that you love.
I did get to try a few Kala brand ukes at 1 store. 1 Tenor, 1 Concert and 1 Soprano, but I could tell they all needed a setup and no one here ever said anything great about kala, that I saw? I did come to feel that a Tenor is going to be my size choice-so lets use a tenor as a model size. I sure wish I could have just been able to play a number of tenor ukes and maybe a couple of concerts and got a better feel!
So, from what I have seen, it would appear a real decent uke will cost me between $150.00 and $250.00
What makes and models do you suggest?
What online dealers for a good setup on it?

Check in with http://ukerepublic.com . He's based in the Atlanta area near me and dealing with him will be a good experience. I especially like the Mainland ukes he carries, but he's got a number of lines from starter to pro.

I've bought from MGM many times and have never had any damage. He ships fast and everything is always very well packed. Plus, he throws in a free hard shell case for almost every ukulele he sells so you get some extra protection during the shipping process.

I've never bought from him but I understand that Mike from Uke Republic also sets all his ukuleles up before shipping. He is located in Atlanta, GA and has a great reputation on this board.

People speak well of Kala on this board. For a not-too-expensive ukulele, they make great stuff.

I live an hour from the nearest Sam ash and an hour from another decent store [Guitar store I think?] I called ahead and they just don't have much stock for me to try?
So, I may have to buy online?
It's very important to me to get a well setup instrument!
Any good experiences with online buying and getting a well setup Ukulele?
I know the Ebay Mike guy in Hawaii offers that, but I kind of fear such a long distance ship?=Possible damage.
From past experiences with other items, damage in shipping usually results in lots of lost time with no item and return shipping costs etc.
I'm in SW Florida and was hoping a "GOOD" seller who does a "GOOD" setup may exist in Georgia, Alabama, or somewhere not to long distance?
Also, now i'm back to having to buy with nothing but information-no hands on.
So again I ask for a list of Ukes you all have that you love.
I did get to try a few Kala brand ukes at 1 store. 1 Tenor, 1 Concert and 1 Soprano, but I could tell they all needed a setup and no one here ever said anything great about kala, that I saw? I did come to feel that a Tenor is going to be my size choice-so lets use a tenor as a model size. I sure wish I could have just been able to play a number of tenor ukes and maybe a couple of concerts and got a better feel!
So, from what I have seen, it would appear a real decent uke will cost me between $150.00 and $250.00
What makes and models do you suggest?
What online dealers for a good setup on it?

I'd recommend Mike at www.ukerepublic.com if he doesn't have what you want then MGM is just as good. Where at in Florida are you? I am heading to Orlando this weekend and I am bringing two ukes with me.

I bought my first ukulele from MGM. Kala ka-st, love it. Mike was great to deal with and the ukulele got to me in perfect condition in about 3 days. My second ukulele I purchased from Uke Republic. Big Island Ukulele tenor cut a way with pick up. This Mike was also great to deal with and even took the time to meet me on my way back from Florida. Both have comparable pricing and wonderfully set up Ukuleles. You won't go wrong with either. PM me if you have any questions about my experiences.

I'd recommend Mike at www.ukerepublic.com if he doesn't have what you want then MGM is just as good. Where at in Florida are you? I am heading to Orlando this weekend and I am bringing two ukes with me.

GREAT OFFER! However I am in Port Charlotte,FL about 160 miles from Orlando. I am going to check out Ukerepublic right now!
Thanks!!!

Thanks everyone! Keep it coming!!!
With no way to actually play ukes to make a choice, I would really appreciate some suggestions.
#1. I "belive" from the few I did try, that I want a tenor.
#2. I do not wish my uke to have a traditional sound, as I want it for contemporary folk music.
Below are 2 Youtube examples of songs I do. Of course, i'm not suggesting that I can play anything like Martin Simpson! :)

http://www.myspace.com/joecrookston { Choose "Freddy The Falcon" on right side }

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtbsfDiDLTM

PS: Any of you happen to play contemporary folk music? Got any vids I can watch?? :)

Last edited:
I'm about an hour from you in Sarasota. In fact, every Thursday night I go to Port Charlotte to be with my significant other. I can tell you that the last time I went to the Sam Ash store in Sarasota they had at least a dozen or so Kala brand ukes. That's where I purchased my first Uke from. I also ordered my sceptre from www.ukulelesource.com (via phone). They're located in CA and I received my uke a few days later without any damage. Most of these sellers package the ukes really well that it is near impossible to have them damaged. Most will also upgrade your shipping (possibly at no additional cost) to overnight shipping so it's only in transit for a day or 2 max.

I think that most and I emphasize most on-line dealers know what they are doing. I purchase my ukes from either other players UkeRepublic or makers (like Mele and KoAloha). I have never bought an 'ukulele from MGM but Ihave bought accessories. I personally know Mike from UkeRepublic and he is a friend. Not just someone that takes my money (not to say the other dealers are like that). I know that all the Mikes (Ukerepublic, MGM, and the famous Mainland Mike) all love the 'ukulele and they will take care of you. For what it is worth the whole quality control of the manufacters has grown tremendously. Many of the makers of iimports are producing very playable out of the box 'ukuleles. Good luck with your search and remember that we demand pics.

With no way to actually play ukes to make a choice, I would really appreciate some suggestions.
#2. I do not wish my uke to have a traditional sound, as I want it for contemporary folk music.
Below are 2 Youtube examples of songs I do. Of course, i'm not suggesting that I can play anything like Martin Simpson! :)

http://www.myspace.com/joecrookston { Choose "Freddy The Falcon" on right side }

PS: Any of you happen to play contemporary folk music? Got any vids I can watch?? :)

Check into mahogany and low G.

I don't know if you'd consider some of my music contemporary folk. I write a lot of my stuff. Here's my channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ctrymaus

I absolutely adore both my Flukes and Flea ukuleles. There IS no set-up because they come perfect from the factory. Great action, great intonation. Look at my newer videos to hear better sound (crappy camera earlier on, using a Snowball mic now). But you should search on YouTube for others playing Flukes and Fleas and give them a listen.

CountryMouse

I got the Kala lacewood/spruce tenor from MGM and it is a great instrument. Check out the sound samples from MGM on youtube for more info and best wishes on your new uke!

You have MGM, Mike at Mainland and, while I've not done business with him, I hear UkeRepublic is good.

I've done business with MGM -- he won't steer you wrong.

to the OP. if you're worried about stuff coming to you quickly, my friend just ordered from MGM on thursday night/friday morning and he got his uke yesterday and that's going from hawaii to utah. i'd expect yours would take another day or two. that's not bad. for some reason, hawaii to utah and utah to hawaii is pretty fast (i work for a company that ships to hawaii regularly). reversly, inside the continental US takes forever. it's going to take ups a week to bring my eleuke from NC to utah.

The uke sellers that get very good reviews on both the ukes sold and the customer service are MGM, Mainland and Ukerepublic. I suggest that you check out each of these three excellent sellers, see what they have to offer, call them and speak directly and I have no doubt that you will be very happy with your choice!
Let us know what you bought!!!!

I live in Los Angeles and there are many stores around to buy a uke, but I felt like I got my best value by buying used from the Ukulele Underground Marketplace forum. I got a used mainland concert mahogany gloss for only $200 with a case. I like to support local brick and mortar stores, but I was not sure if I would enjoy playing the uke so I bought used. I absolutely love playing the uke and do not regret buying a used ukulele off of the forum. But I believe it is common knowledge to UU'rs that the aforementioned Mikes are the bomb.

Very nice music and ya, i'd say it falls into folk!
Thanks for sharing that!
Now, no more playing naked!
It can make you go blind-I hear? :)

Top Bottom