What do you think of the Ohana SK-25Z ?

Reaction score
I meant to post a CK-25z - the concert size.

I am considering this as an alternative to buying a tenor uke.
Uke Republic has them for $229.00 shipped.

Last edited:
I like the Zebrawood Ohanas. They are bright and very light-weight. I have always loved zebrawood grain. I used to use it when I did a lot of flyrod building in the Mid 1980s to Late 1990s.

I've played one. Looks pretty and sounds decent, but I personally prefer the tone of the mahogany model.

Are you sure about the price? I thought the sopranos were cheaper than that.

I have a SK-25Z, and the suggested retail is $169 on the Ohana website. Maybe they are adding a case to the package. Anyway, I like my Zebrawood uke. Although, I found that string choice was important on that one. I tried Aquila, then Worth Clear, and then Worth Brown. I like the Worth Brown the best so far. So, I have stopped experimenting with that one. I think the Zebrawood gets better sounding with age. I would say about 4 months of playing, off and on, and it really opened up for me.

–Lori

I am considering this as an alternative to buying a tenor uke.
Uke Republic has them for $229.00 shipped.

Not sure what an Ohana sk-25z is. Is the Z for zebra wood? Is the s for soprano? Really my post is just a feeble attempt to drive up my post count:) If this is a zebra wood and it is a soprano then i think that this is a pretty 'ukulele. I do know that UkeRepublic is awesome to deal with and he won't do you wrong.

I've played one. Looks pretty and sounds decent, but I personally prefer the tone of the mahogany model.

Are you sure about the price? I thought the sopranos were cheaper than that.

You are correct, I meant to post a CK-25z - the concert size.

The SK22Z has zebra wood back and sides with spruce top. Good sound, light weight, and pretty to look at. About $125. If you are in Southern California, Guitar Merchant has one on the wall you can try out. Otherwise, look here: http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=19954&cat=2

I know, you were asking about a 25Z. But the 22 is yet another option...

I fell in love with the looks of the 22 when I first set eyes on it. The zebrawood is very eyecatching, together with the blonde spruce it comes out like a very nice piece of instrument. So I ordered one.
I received my Ohana SK22Z just yesterday (one of the last I was told), and I compared it with my first uke, an Aloha 20C (which again is a clone of the low-end Makala), and as I allready noticed in the video by ukerepublic, it's crisp, clear and not to forget loud (in a nice way). Don't know if strings are to be considered as a lot of influence (Aquila on the Ohana, D'Addario on the Aloha).
First impression was that the Aloha will be the strummer, and the Ohana will be the picker.

Anyway, some pics of the blonde and the brunette together:

p4pb6517620.jpg

p4pb6517616.jpg

p4pb6517622.jpg

Love to be a uke-bigamist

Last edited:
I have the 22Z and really like it. Like Lori, I have Worth Browns on mine (I tried Aquilas but thought they sounded kind of shrill with the spruce top). I especially like playing country and folk songs on this uke - it has some nice twang ;).

Top Bottom