Low G Concert ukulele strings?

ukebam16

Reaction score
I went to my local music store to purchase some 'ukulele strings with Low G tuning for my concert size 'ukulele. They only had Low G's for tenors...They make concert 'ukulele strings with Low G tuning right??

If so, can someone PLEASE recommend me a brand? I'm looking to order online and I need to make the purchase soon. Thanks. :cool:

Although low G tends to favor Tenors due to the larger body and naturally deeper tone, yes there are low G sets for smaller sizes. www.juststrings.com sells Aquilas in Concert size low G sets.

I like the low G Worth Clear, which I have found consistently on http://www.ukuleleworld.com/worth-cmlg-hd-string-set.html. When MusicGuyMic on ebay has them, his shipping price can't be beat.
Remember, you are buying 2 sets of strings when you get the Worths, so don't be shocked at the price. Worth also offers low G separately with a length good for 4 in a package http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=19567&cat=7&page=1. I think, but I am not sure, that the diameter on the low G is the same on the concert as it is on the tenor.
The Worth low G is not a wound string. Most other manufacturers of strings will have a wound string for low G. I prefer the low G to be smooth.
–Lori

I've tried to put a low G on my custom MP Concert and it was great. It can produce much more bottom end that I thought a concert size could do. But my preference when it comes to low G is simply to put a regular 4th string of classical guitar strings set. It just sounds more low G compare to unwound string...but that's my preference and it's good for my style of playing.

You can also buy Single strings. I bougth a set of D'addario Titanium and wanted a low G so I bought a couple J4704 strings to use as my low G String. I wanted to try these since some folks on here had a thread about the J4804 sting for low G. The difference between the 4804 and 4704 is high tension vs. normal. I went with the normal Tension for my concert, also you cannot buy single 4804 anymore. I have yet to try it out but the J4804 was highly reccomended by some people that know a lot about ukes.

I have a concert strung low G using Aquilla strings. The G string is wound, and the rest are Nylgut. It is my only exposure to low G so far, and I like it!

You could always do what many players do,and fit a set of Tenor
Low G strings! They work fine,I have done it a few times,no extra
tension on the neck to worry about.I also fit Concert (high G) strings
on my sopranos.Better sound,slightly more volume,depending what
you want?

There is no need to buy a different set of strings to experiment with low G tuning. Just move your high G string to the E position and move the C & E strings down one position. So string your uke C, E, G, A then tune it low G, C, E, A. This also avoids using a wound string for low G. If you don't like Low G tuning just switch the strings back at no harm or cost other than a few minutes of your time.

There is no need to buy a different set of strings to experiment with low G tuning. Just move your high G string to the E position and move the C & E strings down one position. So string your uke C, E, G, A then tune it low G, C, E, A. This also avoids using a wound string for low G. If you don't like Low G tuning just switch the strings back at no harm or cost other than a few minutes of your time.

I know this is an old comment thread but it just blew my mind.
If this is for real then :worship:

I just tried that suggestion from the52blues on my cheap Kohala concert with Aquila strings and after lowering the tension, the C (now G) string was so floppy it was unplayable.

I suggest buying a Fremont Soloist low-G from HMS. Sold singly, it is a really nice string that can be used on any size uke. It is smooth wound so you don't get the usual wound-string chirp.

I know this is an old comment thread but it just blew my mind.
If this is for real then :worship:
I tried the string rearranging & found it playable, but not quite to my liking. I did it with both tenor and concert strings on a baritone tuned cgea. ... After reading a recommendation by Glen Rose to try it. Or maybe it is just that HE did it for making tutorials (Aquila makes a gcea set for baritone, and they are long concert strings, high G. ) He uses a baritone tuned like a tenor because it has more room to show fingering. It can give one an idea of the sound.(switching strings around) One might then decide to do it properly, or just forget about low g.
FWIW, I tried fishing line on a banjo decades ago, and ended up going fishing.

Last edited:
ok, so we know that we can put a low G on a concert. But how does it sound? Like a tenor with a low G, or are there any differences because of the smaller instrument? Any one have a concert with a low G?

All but one of my concerts are low G, as are my tenors. :)

I like to have the lower notes for playing melodies.

If you like low G, even a soprano will sound better. ;)

I bought a single Worth Low G for my concert Risa stick. On my Bruko concert I got a Living Water Low G set.

ok, so we know that we can put a low G on a concert. But how does it sound? Like a tenor with a low G, or are there any differences because of the smaller instrument? Any one have a concert with a low G?

In the video linked in my sig below, I'm playing a concert size uke with a Fremont Soloist low G. It sounds like... a ukulele with a low G string! :)

Honestly I don't think any ukulele sounds "like" anything but that particular ukulele. If I was listening to a recording of a ukulele being played, I probably wouldn't be able to guess what size uke it was based on sound alone. Maybe sopranos, since some tend toward the plinky side of the spectrum, but I doubt that I could discern between a tenor and a concert.

Many string makers make low G for concert. I have one of each high/low now. I thought I preferred Low G but after moving the Caramel back to High g, I'm not so sure. I guess I'll have to play them both ways and savor the tone of each instrument. Humm or maybe....maybe switch the strings and see if the Spruce is better high and the Zebra wood low?

Phd makes a low G set that is pretty good and D'Addario makes them too in their carbon series and Fremont makes the Blackline in Low G, and...

Top Bottom