Mr. Rogers Song Contest

provines

Reaction score
Winner Announced!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9kfZsHk3Hk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my heros is Fred Rogers or Mr. Rogers as we called him. One thing Fred did on his show was to sing songs. You may not know this but he wrote and composed most if not all of the songs on his program. Songs like Won't you be my neighbor?, Sometimes, and It's the people you like the most. I enjoyed the jazz piano that the show always closed with.

So, here's the challenge: Either sing one of Fred's songs or compose your own Mr. Rogers-ish song. It has to be kid-friendly and respectful to the Mr. Rogers image. No poor taste parodies. Playing and singing skills are not a factor in the judging. Creativity in presentation is key.

Prize: An official Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood Five Finger Pattern Piano songbook from 1984. It still has the "Price in Canada" price tag on the cover.

Deadline: Midnight, May 31st.

Have fun!

Attachments

• rogerssongs..jpg
    rogerssongs..jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Mr Rogers saved my sanity

When my son was little (he's 23 now), he ran around the house like his ass was on fire. When we put Mr Rogers on the TV, he immediate dropped in front of the television and sat still for the entire show. His wonderful mild manner calmed my son(the savage beast). I am very grateful to him.

I was told an awesome anecdote by my friend, no idea if it's true but...she told me that once, Fred Rogers' car was stolen (oh no!). It got into the papers of course, and after the newspaper reports got around, the car was actually returned to him. There was a note in it that said "We're sorry Mr. Rogers. If we'd known it was your car, we'd never have taken it."

That to me sums up perfectly what a huge and positive influence he had on so, so many people, including me. I'm not ashamed to say I got really sad when he passed, and spent the afternoon watching clips on youtube and reminiscing. Anyhow! Enough soppiness. Now to go and find a song to do for this awesome contest!

Not much 'creativity in presentation', but here's my entry.
...Maybe next time I'll read the rules and judging criteria first : )

Wow, looks like I have the inside track on this one so far. But for me these contests are really all about participation and hearing different people's takes on the challenge.

Surely some of you are old enough to remember Mr. Rogers. So...
Go. Find a song. Fire up the webcam. And celebrate the man.

Top Bottom