Dixie Banjo Uke?

greg_usa

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with these? I see one for sale locally... I read somewhere that they get bad press... but don't know what the bad press is. any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks gang!~

Is that a new one available now? I have several banjos, one being an old 1930's Harmony Banjo Uke which I love to play. I wouldn't replace it with a new one anyway..

ops.. My bad.. There is a vintage "Dixie" banjo Uke, which personally, I don't like. I don't like the looks of it, but I have no experiance on it's sound. If I were you, and in the market for a vintage one, I would get what I have, "The Harmony", or the "Slingerland Maybell" Banjo Uke.. You can find the Maybells on Ebay fairly regularly, but go for between $100-$150. I have seen them as high as $200. The $100-$120 or so will get ya one that will need to be restored, or at least allot of cleanup, and maybe tuners. If I were to pay $150 on up, I would expect it be fairly playable. I replaced the old friction tuners on my Harmony with Gotoh geared tuners. lowered the action on the nut, and the bridge, polished the frets, and it plays very nice..

Last edited:
I have no real experience with the Dixie banjo uke, but I have always thought they're cool. I used to watch them at auction on eBay, hoping I'd be able to grab one cheap. I probably watched 15 of them auctioned off in the last year.

Recently I saw one in person for the first time. What really surprized me was how small they are! All the photos I had seen on those eBay auctions failed to prepare me for reality....they're small!

Still, what's not to like about a uke you can play while sitting around the campfire late at night....and be able to use to club a coyote to death if the need arises....

Dixie

I have played the infamous Dixie. They're not the greatest banjo uke on the planet. I much agree with Tudorp's comment. Ebay has MayBells all the time for $100-$150 for open back 12 and 16 brackets and $150-$200 for 16 bracket resonator models. They're easy to work with; just clean and set up the way you like them and you're in business. Strangely, Dixies go for about the same amount.

Top Bottom