Boat paddel concert uke M type opinions please

Keef

Reaction score
I have yet to ever play a single cord on a ukulele However I am serious about learning and I find my self drawn to the M type boat paddel concert uke .
What do you all feel about this instrument? http://www.boatpaddleukuleles.com/instruments.php

By the way What is the difference between a concert and baratone?
I just realized this was not the best area to make this post Sorry

Last edited:
A baritone (not "baratone") is a 19" scale, while a concert is 15". A baritone is tuned DBGE like a guitar, while a concert is tuned GCEA or gCEA (as are soprano and tenor scales).

The chord (not "cord") shapes are the same on both but the pitch (key) is different (so a D shape on a baritone is actually playing G on a tenor, concert or soprano).

Boat Paddle (not "paddel") makes a fine instrument but it's an expensive investment for a first uke. I have a tenor model and it is superb.

I'd suggest you first try some models at a music store to see what scale seems to suit your hands best, and then purchase a more modestly-priced brand like Mainland or Kala. Learn to appreciate and play it, first, before spending the big bucks. You will eventually get more, so the Boat Paddle can wait.

I like the look of those Boat Paddle Ukuleles too. I have never seen one in person, but they have a good reputation. However, that said, I have made it a rule not to buy anything that is expensive without playing it first. For me, I draw the line somewhere around the $500 level. If you have a strong history of liking other stringed instruments (guitar, banjo, mandolin) then I can see why you might what to jump to the mid to high end first. The choice of size is a key factor, which you cannot determine without a little hands on experience. The ukulele has soprano, concert, tenor and baritone sizes– each one is about 2 inches longer than the size below it. You need to find out what size suits you the best. The best way to do this is to own a few different sizes for awhile, and see what you think. Pick up a Mainland, Kala, or Ohana and see what happens. I needed to try many ukes, with all kinds of variations, to decide what type of uke I want as my dream (expensive) uke. Wood type is another factor that you just have to experience for yourself before you commit to the big bucks. I ended up liking all my ukes... but when I go to buy a KoAloha, it will be a long neck soprano. I already have a long neck concert Kanile'a, and it has been a wonderful choice for me. I bought that one in person, and I will wait to buy a KoAloha until I can try it in person. I have found the whole process a lot of fun!
–Lori

Lol the Iphone is a wonderful thing I just haven't found the spell check function yet :) I am glad that you took the time to correct the areas I lack in so others can understand the true meaning of my words
On the boat paddle my school of thought is to get something of quality and you won't be sorry later. But you make a good point too what if it doesn't fit me?
I guess I could always make my own as I have a wonderful habit of making things without doing any research first this method protects me from other peoples pre concieved notions of how things must be and nets me an original piece and a grand education
:)

Lol the Iphone is a wonderful thing I just haven't found the spell check function yet :) I am glad that you took the time to correct the areas I lack in so others can understand the true meaning of my words
On the boat paddle my school of thought is to get something of quality and you won't be sorry later. But you make a good point too what if it doesn't fit me?
I guess I could always make my own as I have a wonderful habit of making things without doing any research first this method protects me from other peoples pre concieved notions of how things must be and nets me an original piece and a grand education
:)

If you want to make one, get a precut neck! Mainland Ukes has them http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/ca...DCA1D69A281820F7E88.qscstrfrnt01?categoryId=8
Just get a neck, and then go find a cigar box, or other creative solution, and you will be up and strumming in no time. Some people have used kits from Stew Mac or Grizzly, but I think you will have more fun with just getting the Mainland neck and improvising the rest.

–Lori

Nuprin would be a good source to talk to about the M style concert. He just had a custom one made for him which he chronicled through a thread titled Boat Paddle ukulele order. Not sure how to do the link here for you. Maybe thee mods can help out.

Top Bottom