Ukulele + eBay searches: How do you browse?

How do you search eBay for Ukulele related items?

• Total voters

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am about to make an eBay listing, and was wondering how you search for ukulele products on eBay. Do you limit your search to the musical instrument category, or do you search all categories? I need to know if it is worth it to add the musical instrument category to my listing, which currently would appear in the apparel/ accessory category (that category allows one listing to offer color and size choices). Also, what keywords do you like to use to find ukulele accessories?

Thanks
–Lori

Most of the time I look in the instrument catagory, especially for accessories.
Every now and then I also just type "ukelele" in the search box in case someone who doesn't know what they have has put something up. I see a fair amount of sellers do put several variations on spelling on their listing title.

I search ALL... I even search the sold one to get a better sense about the price
=)

what uke are you going to sell Lori?

I search ALL... I even search the sold one to get a better sense about the price
=)

what uke are you going to sell Lori?
I am selling my product, the "Uke Leash", which is a Ukulele Half-Strap. I already have a site and store up-and-running at ukeleash.com, but I want to increase visibility by selling on eBay too. They charge you extra for listing in multiple categories. Since I have 10 colors in the Polypro version and 2 colors for the leather version, I am trying to economize on the eBay fee situation. I will clear a better profit from my website store, but I figure more people will be likely to find me on eBay. I probably should sell a uke or two, but I can't part with any of them.
–Lori

I usually just type "ukulele" in the search box with the category box defaulted to "all categories." If I'm looking for a specific accessory, like a ukulele strap, I would type "ukulele strap" in the search box using the same "all categories" selection. This may not help much in your decision to pick a category or multiple categories; I guess my point is that I would, in theory, find your listing no matter what category you used.

I just tried a new way of searching yesterday: type in "ukulele" and search from highest price to lowest...

Just window shopping, of course...

I am selling my product, the "Uke Leash", which is a Ukulele Half-Strap. I already have a site and store up-and-running at ukeleash.com, but I want to increase visibility by selling on eBay too. They charge you extra for listing in multiple categories. Since I have 10 colors in the Polypro version and 2 colors for the leather version, I am trying to economize on the eBay fee situation. I will clear a better profit from my website store, but I figure more people will be likely to find me on eBay. I probably should sell a uke or two, but I can't part with any of them.
–Lori

By the way, a little off topic, but I got to see the leash in action last weekend. Bunnyflower was using one at the comic jam, and I must say, it seemed to work like a charm. Very ingenious device you came up with :)

By the way, a little off topic, but I got to see the leash in action last weekend. Bunnyflower was using one at the comic jam, and I must say, it seemed to work like a charm. Very ingenious device you came up with :)
Yes, I saw her in the YouTube video. The strap is hard to see, but it is definitely one of the early prototypes. It was one that had a blue/ white pattern on it. I was thinking of putting links to all YouTube "Uke Leash" videos on my website. There is so much to do...
–Lori

Craigslist searching for the word "ukulele" helped me snag a Sopranino for $110! If you live in a big-ish city it can be very helpful

–Lori

One solution would be list all of your color options in one ebay ad, then let the buyer choose once they have made the purchase. I see a lot of sellers do this on items.

One solution would be list all of your color options in one ebay ad, then let the buyer choose once they have made the purchase. I see a lot of sellers do this on items.
That is an interesting idea. I wonder how well it works. I assume it requires the buyer to remember to specify their color choice in a note attached to the order. I can see that a lot of people would forget that step, and a lot of time would be wasted emailing them to get the details. With the pull down menu method (that is available in the apparel/ accessory category), the buyer is prompted to choose color and size, before the order is placed. Easier for both buyer and seller. I am going to see if I can also add the accessories to the same listing, but it might make the pull down menus too long and complicated. I would rather not frustrate the customers with too many choices at once.

–Lori

Lori, I generally browse "ukulele", "all catagories", "auctions only". I go through the first 8 hours or so of "ending soonest", then switch to "newly listed". The reason I do "auctions only" is that I'm really interested in used (particularly vintage) instruments, and I'm interested in finding that ever-elusive bargain. It also saves me from wading through the ocean of repetitive, always-for-sale stuff that is always "buy it now".

That said, if I were specifically looking for an accessory item I would probably buy it new. I would refine my search parameters to help me find what I wanted....for example "ukulele strap".

I don't know if that's helpful for you or not, but I hope so....

Lori, I generally browse "ukulele", "all catagories", "auctions only". I go through the first 8 hours or so of "ending soonest", then switch to "newly listed". The reason I do "auctions only" is that I'm really interested in used (particularly vintage) instruments, and I'm interested in finding that ever-elusive bargain. It also saves me from wading through the ocean of repetitive, always-for-sale stuff that is always "buy it now".

That said, if I were specifically looking for an accessory item I would probably buy it new. I would refine my search parameters to help me find what I wanted....for example "ukulele strap".

I don't know if that's helpful for you or not, but I hope so....

Thanks Mailman, it does help. My Uke Leash would be a "Buy it Now" item.

–Lori

I have three searches I run many times every day. I have them saved as "saved searches" in My eBay. I also add a price range to my search to filter out the junk and too expensive. I first look at the newly listed items as some of the items may be poorly priced and may have a very attractive Buy It Now price. Then I flip to Ending soonest to see what items look interesting that may be closing soon. I am giving away all my secrets because I really don't think there are any great deals on ukuleles on eBay anymore. Too many people watch the auctions closely, just like I do.

Here are the search strings I paste into the search window. you can easily just remove any of the "-BrandIWant" to include a particular brand in your search or add words to exclude by adding -CrapUkulele or some other keyword to the list.

I use three separate searches to account for the three common spellings. Some listers will only put ukelele or only uke on their auction and a search for ukulele will miss it.

ukulele -mitchell -cordoba -dolphin -ohana -makala -kala -oscar -applause -harmony -luna -aria -riptide -baritone -fluke -flea -pattern -hohner -lauhala -lanikai -leolani -eleuke -makai -mahalo -savannah -stagg -kohala

uke -ukulele -mitchell -cordoba -dolphin -ohana -makala -kala -oscar -applause -harmony -luna -aria -riptide -baritone -fluke -flea -pattern -hohner -lauhala -lanikai -leolani -eleuke -makai -mahalo -savannah -stagg -kohala

ukelele -ukulele -mitchell -cordoba -dolphin -ohana -makala -kala -oscar -applause -harmony -luna -aria -riptide -baritone -fluke -flea -pattern -hohner -lauhala -lanikai -leolani -eleuke -makai -mahalo -savannah -stagg -kohala

I held back a few secrets, just to keep eBay interesting for me. Good luck to all how are searching for a deal. They are few and far between.

Mike
ukuDaily.com
<><

I am about to make an eBay listing, and was wondering how you search for ukulele products on eBay.
I search all categories, and I search multiple times, using ukulele, ukelele and uke in the search field, along with other keywords such as "tenor" and "solid" (for solid wood).

...you can easily just remove any of the "-BrandIWant" to include a particular brand in your search or add words to exclude by adding -CrapUkulele or some other keyword to the list.
Yes, and conversely you can use the + sign to make sure the word is included - i.e. +kala or +Martin.

Other suggestions: use quote marks around phrases (although this is not always successful) and so a separate search for terms in titles and body.

Looks like the poll is running 60% to 40% general vs. musical instrument category. Thanks to all for the input, and the tips!

–Lori

Top Bottom