The Runaways with Kristen Stewart + Dakota Fanning

Simplicity

UU+
Reaction score
poster.jpg
e-Stills-the-runaways-movie-10013000-399-600.jpg
runaways-movie3.jpg

The story of the groundbreaking '70s female rock group The Runaways is recounted in this River Road Entertainment production focusing on the duo of guitarist/vocalist Joan Jett (portrayed by Twilight's Kristen Stewart) and lead vocalist/keyboardist Cherie Currie (Dakota Fanning) as they navigate a rocky road of touring and record label woes under the malevolent eye of an abusive manager during their teen years.

For those of you who have seen it, what are your thoughts on the movie? For those who haven't, would you go see it?

...I kept thinking "Bella Swan!" when Kristen Stewart appeared on the screen. Haha you're not tough, you're fragile.

Last edited:
Hey -- I haven't seen this yet but I'd like to. I'll pretty much watch anything Dakota Fanning has been in as I think she's brilliant. Please notice I said "pretty much". :)

Have you seen it?

I was actually going to delete this thread cuz I figured no one was ganna reply haha. Anyway, yeah I have seen the movie and rather enjoyed watching it. I can't believe how much older Dakota Fanning looks these days.

Have not seen the movie. But, I'm old enough to have been working in record stores when the Runaways were around....

...anyway, we were in Vegas a few years back, and a very tall guy in a yellow suit was walking around. I said to my wife "Is that Kim Fowley?"
It was. Can you pronounce "Svengali"? Whew!

I finally got to see this last night. It was kind of shocking to see Kristen Stewart had some decent acting skills. Too bad the movie had to focus mainly on Joan Jett and Cherie Currie though.

It was pretty good. I was impressed by Kristen Stewart's acting ability; usually she's terrible. Dakota Fanning was, as usual, great. I'd like to hear the DVD commentary with Joan Jett, Stewart, and Fanning, as well. Might be interesting, especially Jett's thoughts on the film.
Great soundtrack, too!

I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed they put Alia Shawkat as the bassist. Did she even have more than one line? That was disappointing. But I agree with everyone else on Kristen Stewart. She didn't have that strange delivery she does in a lot of other films she's in. As a fan of the Runaways, I'm glad they got the actresses to sign with the proper hand. I am happy.

I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed they put Alia Shawkat as the bassist. Did she even have more than one line?

I read that Jackie Fox, who's a lawyer now, was very opposed to the movie and actually took them to court in an attempt to keep it from getting made, which is why she's pretty much not in it at all. Also, Joan and Cherie apparently got pretty close again gearing up for the movie, but there's still some bad blood between the two of them and Lita Ford. I think Sandy West pretty much got along with everyone, but she died a few years ago (she had a really sad life post-Runaways) and so wasn't around to have a hand in the film.

Yeah, I might have gone on a Runaways binge after seeing the movie - what's your point? :)

Top Bottom