Singing and playing

markbatten

Reaction score
Hi, this has probably been covered a thousand times but........................
I'm no Tom Jones but i can carry a tune. I can strum and change chords fairly respectably.
I can't do both together.
I am either strumming out of beat to match the words or singing out of time to match the strum.
Or both.
I don't know which it is but need some guidance.
I'm not after singing lessons but some tips on matching everything up.

Thanks
Mark

I would suggest that you strum through the tune enough times that it is automatic. Once you can do it without thinking, hum along and see if you can keep the strumming. I would try to sing it maybe while just hitting a chord at each change to be sure that you know the melody and words comfortably. It is a little tough, somewhat like the old pat your head and rub your stomach. Once you are really sure of each try putting it together little by little.

I would suggest that you strum through the tune enough times that it is automatic. Once you can do it without thinking, hum along and see if you can keep the strumming. I would try to sing it maybe while just hitting a chord at each change to be sure that you know the melody and words comfortably. It is a little tough, somewhat like the old pat your head and rub your stomach. Once you are really sure of each try putting it together little by little.

I agree, learn the chord progression so you have it smooth before trying to sing along.
In my experience a lot of players struggle to read, play & sing all at the same time which is why I encourage people to play the chord progression and let their ears find the chord changes.
For what it is worth B.B. King can't play and sing at the same time. (I saw an interview with him a few years back)

As silly as it sounds, you have to learn how to block out your ukulele playing while you are singing. Like EDW said, it has to be automatic.

........at least you know you're doing it, that's half the battle. Give yourself time and just keep practicing.

I'd like to encourage you to keep going through the chord sequence of the song until you have it down pat.

Depending on the songs you like to play, some may be very easy while others may be challenging, indeed.

Songs like "Peace like a River" (boom-dee-ada, boom-dee-ada, etc), "Heart and Soul", etc with repeating
chord sequences should become easier (until you hit the bridge), while other songs with challenging chords
and sequences will take a bit more time.

Just make sure you know all the chords by sight (see, recognize, form, and play) and can change from chord to chord
smoothly without having to look at your fingers and without interrupting your strumming. (see links under my
signature).

Keep uke-in',

boy oh boy... well, I don't really have anything really to add here except to say that everyone above me is absolutely right! :agree:

Even after I first started playing, and was able even to strum through some songs without looking at the chord names....and then even good enough to be able to strum without looking at my hands....it still took quite awhile to get to the point that I could even attempt to sing and play at the same time.

What did finally allow me to be able to sing and play at the same time is when I had played a song SO MANY TIMES that it was truly automatic to play it. Then I was able to first hum along, and then sing along. So the advice above is all good - just pick a song you want to sing and play along with (try one that has chords changes and/or strums that coincide with the lyrics - it should be easier to sing along with) - and just play it A LOT. Like a few times a day EVERY DAY - without fail. Until you find that you could do it in your sleep (it doesn't take as long as it sounds, really). Just stick with it and you'll be able to do it.

Good luck!

For what it is worth B.B. King can't play and sing at the same time. (I saw an interview with him a few years back)

I don't know if that's so, he just chooses not to so that the music can breathe. It doesn't matter ether way. I'd pay to see him just sit on stage and smile - he makes me happy.

...and tap your foot! ;)

No!!! That's just one more thing to think about! :)

Learn the 'ukulele part really well. Then learn the singing part really well. Then put it together. Try, try again. I am just now starting to sing a bit after 4 years of playing and I think it's easier for me to start because I have a better grasp on the playing side of things. So I only have to think about singing (yikes). Good luck!

Simple rule for learning to play or to play/sing with any instrument:

Practice.
Practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice.

And stop for a glass of wine.

PS. A metronome might help. When you learn to keep time to its beat, it makes it somewhat more of an automatic process to strum in synch.

Top Bottom