PDA

View Full Version : I pulled the trigger and ordered my first UKE I guess I have to learn now

Keef
05-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Koaloha / KTS-07 Sceptre Tenor
I know everyone says I should try a bunch in hand first to see what I like and to see what fits best but I just had to have it. you understand right? :drool:

I think Ill go sit by the mail box and wait :)

Rzr
05-07-2010, 08:02 AM
You've picked a wonderful entry level ukulele. When you decide to upgrade let me know. Pictures when you get it.

cornfedgroove
05-07-2010, 08:14 AM
dang, quite the first uke!!! let the tortuous waiting begin

Skottoman
05-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Wow! That's some start! You'll want to learn more once you see how beautiful that instrument is.

I would have started with a Kala or something, but totally depends on your budget and dedication.
If you find you don't like that one, I'm sure there will be people here who would gladly take it off your hands or trade.

Pics when you get it please!!!
Cheers,
Skottoman

sukie
05-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Smart move going with the KoAloha first. Cuts the UAS at least in half, if not more. Enjoy!

Keef
05-07-2010, 09:18 AM
UAS????

my thought is I wont have to upgrade later and it puts great pressure on me to learn
if I dont learn its still great art but looking at it would make me feel shame
is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?
OMG!! I CANT TAKE IT!!
fun fun fun :)

phanzo
05-07-2010, 09:26 AM
congrats man, that's gonna be awesome!!

Lori
05-07-2010, 09:42 AM
I am sure you are going to love it! If it works out, you will save money in the long run. If not, there will be a lot of eager buyers. Getting something you really like is a great motivator. Must see photos when you get it. When is it expected?

–Lori

rpeters
05-07-2010, 09:57 AM
UAS????

my thought is I wont have to upgrade later and it puts great pressure on me to learn
if I dont learn its still great art but looking at it would make me feel shame
is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?is it here yet? is it here yet? is it here yet?
OMG!! I CANT TAKE IT!!
fun fun fun :)

You don't need to worry about not learning. The ukulele is extremely easy to learn but like everything else difficult to master. If you have good rhythm you'll be surprised on how many songs you'll be able to play on the first couple of days. Have fun!

Coconut Willie
05-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Outstanding!!!! Oh if I only had the $$$!!!!!
Congrats and yes, pics please!!

molokinirum
05-07-2010, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Keef;369878]UAS????

my thought is I wont have to upgrade later...../QUOTE]

Hahahaha you soon to be infected soul!!!! I started like you did, bought a Kamaka Tenor first and thought I was done! I soon found out that I needed a beater uke to take to the beach, peoples houses, etc. so my real baby would not be subject any abuse. Then I got a Makala Concert from MGM and my UAS is in remission....well I have a weary eye on a six string Mele!!!!
Best of luck and you will have a blast playing your new uke!!!

Keef
05-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I just got off the phone with the creator of the sceptre Super Nice guy
I asked about the crown design at the base of the bridge as mine will not have that design and he explained that making that was very labor intensive so only the early ones will have that design
by the end of our talk I felt that we were great friends and I just adopted one of his children .
I promised to keep in touch and give him feedback on my experiences with this almost magical Ukulele

JT_Ukes
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Reminds me of a joke my Uncle Joe used to say. Yeah I do Drugs but nothing stronger than heroin.

heh

sukie
05-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I just got off the phone with the creator of the sceptre Super Nice guy
I asked about the crown design at the base of the bridge as mine will not have that design and he explained that making that was very labor intensive so only the early ones will have that design
by the end of our talk I felt that we were great friends and I just adopted one of his children .
I promised to keep in touch and give him feedback on my experiences with this almost magical Ukulele
So you bought it from KoAloha itself? Sweet! You talked to Mr Okami? (I think that's his name) Even sweeter. KoAlohas are the best. You are going to be so happy.

Dane
05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Where is the Jealous smiley when you need it?......

Keef
05-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Actualy I bought it from a dealer in Hawaii (ukulele Puapua) but when I had a question about it I called Koaloha and the nice lady said here you can talk to the creator and I forgot to get his name but I did email him a link to this very thread .
Here is a so so picture of the Sceptre I will be recieving http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/Kempocat/99b4dd6f.jpg I will post detailed pics once it gets here :)

SailingUke
05-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I applaud your courage in starting with a first-class instrument.
As you said, it will motivate you to practice and play.
A quality instrument is easier to play and will develop a great voice.
You probably won't get the max from it at first, but as your skills improve you will be happy and most likely better than most beginners.
My playing ability took quantum leaps after I got my KoAloha, because I liked it so much.
May you use it, love it and enjoy it in good health.

Ronnie Aloha
05-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Your next upgrade will have to be a custom. Not much room above a Sceptre.

Keef
05-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Thank you I have this funny feeling my life has just taken a new direction time will tell :)

StereoJoker
05-07-2010, 01:48 PM
:eek: Whoa, that's not just any trigger you pulled, that's the starting gun! Congrats! You'll be more than pleased, that's for sure. You've certainly got a leg up in the quality department (by far). Have fun!

And you're right -- your life has just changed completely ;).

T-Rock
05-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Awesome choice! I have a Sceptre hanging on my studio wall, I've never played it! I have 6 other KoAloha Tenors that I use. Dude, you will never need to upgrade. In my opinion they are the best uke's out there, and the Okami family are outstanding! All the best!
Tony Gamble
www.myspace.com/killerukulele

Keef
05-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Well it's here!!!
It is a very nice uke with a very nice clear ring to it :) and it is somewhat frustrating that I can't play it yet :)

Chris Tarman
05-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Congratulations on such a nice instrument to learn on and grow with! It won't take you long with that for inspiration!

Keef
05-12-2010, 02:42 PM
This is the new bridge design
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/Kempocat/be4d9eb9.jpg
not as fancy as the early ones
I might add the bat wing to the bottom I haven't decided yet

jordan bello
05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Well it's here!!!
It is a very nice uke with a very nice clear ring to it :) and it is somewhat frustrating that I can't play it yet :)

I recently picked up the ukulele. To help me move along, I bought a self-inking stamp which stamps a blank fretboard (http://www.aeromark.net/selfinkers/fret_stamps.html) I bought the small 4 string fret black. I then printed out one hundred different songs that I personally like to listen to from uke sites and guitar tab sites (e.g., Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What a Wonderful World). Playing songs you enjoy keeps you motivated. There may be uke standards that are great pieces of music, but if you don't personally love the song it is hard to motivate yourself to work on it.

I stamped all of the chords on the music and filled in the chord names and fingerings from looking them up on different Uke Chord Websites. Then I just started plowing through daily, first learning to strum with chords, then learning words and singing separately, then putting together (it is perfectly normal to be able to play a song perfectly, separately sing a song perfectly, but when put together you are lousy).
Eventually, everything seems to get easier and easier with breakthroughs like all of a sudden you come back the next day and "Wow, I can sing while playing without completely effing it up when this morning I couldn't do it." Some people like to act like its all talent and just they were born to it, but like anything else I think its practice, practice, practice.

Just my experience and 2 cents. Good luck and enjoy. By the way, it's great you staredt out with the uke you wanted. If you have it, might as well enjoy it, cause you can't take it with you when you're gone.

UkeDan77
05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Congratulations on your new sceptre! I got one about 2 months ago and love it. I'm like you, I am still in the beginning stages of learning but you'd be amazed how quickly you start to pick things up. I actually began taking 1 on 1 lessons with a local instructor here and that has helped a lot..if for nothing more than that it just motivated me to practice everyday so I wouldn't be unprepared for my next week's lesson.

Keef
05-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the encouragment .
I ordered this instructional DVD to get me started
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/Kempocat/35ff462d.jpg

Teek
05-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Congratulations on you new uke ! I'd only add take advantage of all the huge amount of resources here: uke minutes with Aldrine, music theory galore, downloadable charts, eBooks (Ukulele Hunt and others), links to strums and fingerpicking videos and related tabs, chord charts, tabbed music of all sorts, it's a feast! Use the search function and follow the threads. Ask questions, there are no dumb questions, many of us have been there and there are a lot of kind people on this board. I am still a noob, I picked up my first uke to actually try playing one a year and a half ago, and had many major crises and other people's drama interrupting my learning curve along the way, but I keep coming back because I love them, they are a sanctuary for me.

Lots of great teachers playing it forward are posting on YouTube, do take advantage of their generosity and inspiration because someday you will be teaching something to someone following behind you.

And don't panic if you start out with a bang and then get lost or hit a frustrating plateau, keep on plugging away! Keep any guilt or shame out of the equation! This is a personal journey and I had someone stomping on my uke joy and had to actually move out to get away from it, don't let someone else or your own sense of "should" get in the way of your joy! If you have trouble with the Sceptre in how it fits you, get a little Ohana or Mainland concert (maybe mahogany with a spruce top for a different sound) so you can try a different size. Then you can have a high g concert and a low g tenor. I have all four sizes, and found that I had trouble on the bari, then on the next soprano, then the concert seemed just right. After time with that, I was much better on the soprano. I got a tenor, then after time on the tenor I was better on the bari. Now I can move through all four, with some time for adjustment, but not nearly as much. I am on the "rent" or "buy to try" and then move along plan, so sometimes I swap two for one as an upgrade. I bought most of mine used, and I'm still sorting out the keepers. So you may not have cured UAS, lol!

The learning has to have some periods of good solid study, then time to percolate (at least in my older, tired brain), and then coalesce into a new level of ability, where all of a sudden things flow better and are easier. It takes time to figure out all the pieces and how they fit together. Don't worry about making mistakes, but try to find out what the "correct" methods are so you start out playing with good habits to play cleanly. Love the snot out of how sweet your uke sounds to you, explore her and figure out how she works. Learn scales, fingering techniques and picking patterns, and strum patterns and how to read tabs. A little bit of this and that at a time. Stay curious and enthusiastic! Find an online metronome to help with rhythm and keeping time. Then just experiment.

If it pleases you that's the most important thing. :2cents: :shaka:

Keef
05-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Hold on to your hats I have something to say at this stage of the game I enjoy playing the Westbrook cheapy ukulele made in japan better than playing the KoAloha Sceptre tenor
The sceptre is to big for me and I have trouble making chords
other than size we all know that the sceptre is by far a better instument I just have a hard time making it work for me
Yeah yeah I know you told me to see what size is right for me first :)

RyanMFT
05-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Hold on Keef,
You will be able to play that sceptre, it is just going to take a little time. It is a wonderful instrument, I was lucky enough to play one a couple weeks ago and I was super impressed....and I already own a KoAloha concert!

Keep banging away on that cheap uke and you will improve. After a while you should find that you can easily adjust to other ukes, but they will feel a little strange at first.......you will get a ton of enjoyment out of that KoAloha, just give it some time!

luvdat
05-15-2010, 12:52 AM
You learn a language by trying speak it, grammatical mistakes and all and often faulty pronounciation (bad accent). Go slow. Focus on tone. Focus on RHYTHMS...

arashi_nero
05-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Hold on to your hats I have something to say at this stage of the game I enjoy playing the Westbrook cheapy ukulele made in japan better than playing the KoAloha Sceptre tenor
The sceptre is to big for me and I have trouble making chords
other than size we all know that the sceptre is by far a better instument I just have a hard time making it work for me
Yeah yeah I know you told me to see what size is right for me first :)

i seriously think our cheap sopranos are twins separated at birth :rofl:. they have the same bridge, the same shape, they look exactly the same (other than wood color), and they're both made in japan.

keep working on it. you'll get it soon. a girl who was just starting and bought a concert uke right off ended up playing my soprano because it was quite a bit easier. now that i've got a sop, con, & ten, i practice about evenly on each so that i can get used to playing the same songs on each and having my brain work the same on each. i think it really helps.

ceviche
05-16-2010, 06:11 PM
You learn a language by trying speak it, grammatical mistakes and all and often faulty pronounciation (bad accent). Go slow. Focus on tone. Focus on RHYTHMS...
:agree:
It's amazing how many people neglect these two points of tone and rhythm. So long as you have these down tight, people will think of you as far more skilled than you really are. Plus, it will easy for others to jam with you. It's like a Neil Young or Ringo Starr thing.

--Dave E.