I hope i'm not pushing you all? I have chosen some possible buying options. HELP! :-}

How would you rate these 1-7 one being best

• Best sound

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Likely to come with good factory setup

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Plays easiest

• Least likely to have future problems

• Total voters
Reaction score
Below is a list of ukuleles I am considering.
If you know these, would you give them a 1-7 rating with 1 being the top choice and 7 being the least desireable. I'm ordering something on Monday and this is my last ditch effort to get help deciding.
Thanks for putting up with me! :confused:

Ohana tK-35 Or TK-35 G ???

Lanakai LSM-T Tenor

Lanikai S-TEQ Tenor

Flame mahogany Kala Tenor Ukulele w P/U KA TEM-E3

Kala KA TEM

KALA KA-KT

Oscar Schmidt OU6

Kala KA MT MANGO TENOR

I'd get one of the Kalas. I was a bit disappointed in the volume on my Kala mango concert, and I haven't played either of the other two you list. But the flame mahog is lovely looking.

I would avoid the mangos...at that price I hear they all tend to be muted. My friend has the Kala flamed maple tenor and its really nice...so the mahogany should be pretty nice as well.

I own a lanikai ck-teq and I still like it with the right strings...that LSM-T looks nice. I've heard ohanas are nice, but never played one...and I wouldnt go oscar schmidt (unless you've played it first) because of the things I've heard.

I owned one of those mangos by kala and I got rid of it to buy something else. The ohanas are nice and so is that flames mahogany.

I have a Lanikai sTeq and the setup is terrible. I had lots of string buzzing, so I shimmed my bridge some, which fixed that problem. I also think there is a problem with the nut being too high as it is really hard to barr the first fret consistently. The pesky first string is often dead because you need to apply superhuman strength to get all four strings down enough. On the plus side, my left hand is getting really strong while I wait for my Pono to arrive.

Mike
ukuDaily.com

I own an Ohana TK35G - It plays beautifully when setup properly with Aquilla Strings. It was my first uke bought a little over a year ago. I own 2 others but the Ohana is my go to knock around uke. Loud strong sound, but not obtrusive.
A good choice...

Just my half cents worth, as I don't have much experience with many brands of ukus, but my recent purchase of an OS OU6 has been most impressive. I paid $175 including shipping, and the uke is outstanding. The quality of workmanship, the KOA grained wood ( laminate I am sure), and the overall playability and sound are wonderful. I am enjoying my OU6 a lot. I wonder if OS ukes are taking a bad rap for a few bad "apples" that might slip through, which is possible with any product. Anyway, good luck in your choice, and by the way, I wasn't able to play my OS first, and bought it off EBay. Happy strumming and plucking!! Lozark

My vote is on the Ohana SK-35. But only because that is one I have, and my favorite. The SK-35G is the exact same thing, with the exception it has a high gloss finish. Mine is the satin finish, and I tend to like satin better than gloss finishes. So, G, or no G is just a personal preference. I like the SK-35, because it is a very affordable solid mahogany uke, set up with Aquila nylguts, bone nut and saddle, Decent Gotoh tuners, rosewood, and actually, even being china made is a very well constructed Uke. For a mass production Uke, you can't go wrong with it. Quality is very nice.

Ops.. My bad.. I thought one of your choices was the SK.. The TK is the same thing really, just a tenor size in lue of Soprano. The "G" thing on that means the same anyway....
At any rate, I am very happy with Ohana...

Last edited:
Get the ohana! Decent uke, fair price.

One thing to consider, from your poll you listed several factors to consider. Each instrument is different, even the same models. It is possible to get a lemon, one OU6 might be as good as it gets while the one made right after it has some flaws. I understand you want to get a good instrument for the $$ and want advice, but most of the instruments you listed are good values for the money, and at least one person will reccomend each of them. I doubt anyone has acctually had a lot of experince with all the instruments.

Just make sure you buy from a good dealer that takes care of their customers.

My top choice is the:
Flame mahogany Kala Tenor Ukulele w P/U KA TEM-E3

Especially if you get it from MGM.
It'll be well set up, have good strings, has a built-in tuner and an active pickup system for amplifying.
Plus, I hear that it has a great tone, as the laminated top is rather thin and resonant.
That's definitely the winner for me out of that bunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBToknH-UUU

I looked at the Mainlands, but one I would have gotten is not in stock and the other is kind of above my price range.

there are other dealers that sell Mainland, I'm sure Hoosierhiver can direct you to one that may very well have what you want. Ukerepublic also has some in his store he'd like to sell I'm sure

Kala Flame Mahogany.....from MGM, can't go wrong!!

I would avoid the mangos...at that price I hear they all tend to be muted.
Mellow is the word. Yes, they are because that's te nature of mango - it's beautiful but not a very responsive tnewood. It also in part because these are laminates.

I have a Pono solid mango, and while mellow, I was able to brighten it up considerably by replacing the strings with Aquilas and the saddle with a Tusq piece. Mango is a nice addition to the collection for its looks and the softer sound.

But of the lot I would buy the Kala (solid top). I agree that Mainland should be on the list, too (their red cedar tenors are VERY nice).

Top Bottom