Crack in my Mainland :(

phanzo

Reaction score
So today I discovered a crack in the back of my Mainland Mahogany Concert. I'm super bummed. I have no idea how long it's been there or how it happened since it is only out of my case when I play it and I only play it a couple times a month or so (lately). I noticed it when I felt a bump in the white binding on the back. It looks like it somehow pushed out and cracked the wood. There's actually 2 spots where the binding bumps out (I would post a pic, but I'm at work right now). I'm wondering if it has been there the whole time and I just never noticed it...

Anywho, I'm super bummed now. What to do... :mad:

As you know, it's dry in Arizona so you should probably keep your solid wood instruments in their cases with a humidifier when not playing them.

Contact Mainland for repair/replacement recommendations

this is why "FOR ME" the woes of solid wood is not worth the pleasure.

Not to worry my brother, contact either Mainland Mike or Uke Republic Mike and I'm sure they will take care of you to your satisfaction.

even if you elect to do nothing, a crack in the back won't change the sound much. I have a couple of old Gibson guitars with separation where the back and sides join, and they sound great.

Phanzo,

Sorry to hear about the crack. I second contacting Mainland to see what they recommend. Maybe they know of a good repair place in your area.

Consider getting an Oasis case humidifier. You may find that you need more humidity than the one you are currently using can put out.

I replaced the clay in my Herco humidifier with "Soil Moist" gel crystals. It holds more water now, lasts longer and works better. I use this in conjunction with an Oasis case humidifier.

Last edited:
It is essential to always pay attention to humidity if you have a solid wood uke, especially in dry climates. Major changes in temperature and humidity during the changes in seasons can be a time to pay extra attention.
Dry winter air is probably as bad if not worse than an arid environment.

Last edited:
A friend of mine lives in Taos NM with multiple fine fretted instruments. They live in a room that's kept humidified to 45%.

Ouch... I hope it all works out :(
Personally, I'm not a big fan of solid wood's tendency to crack unexpectedly sometimes.

Last edited:
looks like it's just the binding pulling away from the wood, meaning it's purely decorative.

Try putting a small flashlight inside the uke, in the dark, and see if there's any separation between the back and the side. If it's all still joined, you are still structurally sound.

Good that there's no crack in the wood itself - that's what I thought it was.

You might talk to Mainland first, but you should be able to work some Duco cement into the crack, and pull it closed with tape.

Remember the binding and wood will expand and contract at different rates, this is not surprising at all.

Good luck!

Hopefully, that is a minor problem and can be easily resolved by Mainland, a luthier, or you.
I think I'll go check my Herco right now!

Good luck with your uke.

Here's a pic of the crack:

I also have a mahogany concert and there are two places where the binding is slightly pulling away. Same as your pics. Mike suggested filling them in with wood glue. I doubt it effects the sound at all; basically a cosmetic problem and something to keep a watch on.

I would get the uke good and hydrated then do a little touch-up work with some wood glue. That is if the dealer does not take care of it. I use an old pill bottle with three holes drilled in the top and some sponge inside. Granted the "ghetto humidifier" sits right under the hygrometer, but even in just a canvas case I am running 60%.

hey guys - i also have a mahogany concert. I just noticed a month ago that some of the binding was pulling away on the bottom. pretty much the same spot. I don't know how long it's been like that but i didn't notice it by the sound and i wasn't too concerned. but i would like to fix it. did anyone get recomendation on what glue would be safe to use there?

I would recommend the Oasis humidifiers for the ukes you really want to protect. In areas where the weather changes a lot, you need to keep a close eye on your humidifier system. The Oasis humidifiers clearly show when they need to be refilled. They might be a bit more expensive than others, but knowing exactly when to refill is very important.

–Lori

hey guys - i also have a mahogany concert. I just noticed a month ago that some of the binding was pulling away on the bottom. pretty much the same spot. I don't know how long it's been like that but i didn't notice it by the sound and i wasn't too concerned. but i would like to fix it. did anyone get recomendation on what glue would be safe to use there?
mike told me to get some wood glue. put some over it, wipe it off and repeat until it is filled. preferably from the inside, but i cant get to it from the inside, so im gonna do it from the outside. I think he said to wipe it with a wet wash cloth. I'm gonna give it a shot this week sometime.

Stewart MacDonald has recommended Duco Cement for attaching binding - it binds both wood and plastic. It's what I used on the binding for a mandolin and 3 banjos. None have separated at all. Wood glue is really for wood to wood.

Another idea might be Plastic Wood, it's harmless, and would fill the crack instead of actually regluing. I think that's what the suggestion for wood glue is all about.

Top Bottom