My first pinapple uke

It looks great Sven. Really like the looks of the fretboard binding and the wide skunk stripe.
How many coats of shellac?
One piece rim must have been bent on an iron?
Would not have thought a walnut top would sound this good but this one certainly does.
Fred

$550. Sweet uke.
Oooh, thanks for the price estimate. That would indeed be an all time high.

(But still, if you divide $550 with the hours a guy like me puts into even a modest build... you're way below minimum wages. I think Markus will have to give me some studio time besides the cash.)

Sven

Oooh, thanks for the price estimate. That would indeed be an all time high.

(But still, if you divide $550 with the hours a guy like me puts into even a modest build... you're way below minimum wages. I think Markus will have to give me some studio time besides the cash.)

Sven
I thought Matt was making you an offer.

It looks great Sven. Really like the looks of the fretboard binding and the wide skunk stripe.
How many coats of shellac?
One piece rim must have been bent on an iron?
Would not have thought a walnut top would sound this good but this one certainly does.
Fred
Thanks Fred. Fretboard binding is of a simple variety where the binding covers the ends of the frets, like on some electric guitars. 8 or 9 coats of thinned shellac, 3 or 4 with a thicker cut. Wide skunk stripe is both for looks and stability. The rim was bent on an electric bending iron, you're right. The walnut top is quite good, but a spruce or cedar on this one would have been a killer. Markus wanted an all walnut though, and it turned out nice. I don't know whether it would sound better or worse with softer strings. I think it would like C-tuning as in the vid, Markus tunes to D though.

Thanks for the comments / Sven

It's beautiful Sven. The sound is very nice. Beautiful uke making beautiful sounds... worth a lot more than minimum wage mate.

I thought Matt was making you an offer.

You know, ever since I started building them, I've lost all desire to buy them. But I think our prices should reflect the quality of our work, and while I've not inspected Sven's work up close, I suspect he's there, or soon will be.

@Vic: You're right about the result being reward enough, as long as I have my day job for the rent.

@Matt: I'm not buying anything either at the moment. Until I stumble upon something really exclusive, vintage or custom.

Sweet stuff, Sven. We're working on a walnut/cherry uke with a one-piece bend right now. Take your time to find the best set of strings for whichever tuning - it's worth it.

That looks great Sven. I built a pineapple concert uke a year ago. but mine doesn't sound near as good as yours. I still have a lot to learn.
Doug

I really love your videos.

It's good to see young people playing music on a small instrument that they have developed themselves.:)

One tip though, dump the old guy with the uke. He may be family, but he's holding you back.

Ukes are so last year!! Your obviously leading the way with Candy box percussion.:cool:,
but the gurning needs some work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Vf9QMROCQ
Perhaps in 80 years time when you've lost some teeth;)

Finbar :cool:

ps
Beautiful Uke by the way.

You know, ever since I started building them, I've lost all desire to buy them. But I think our prices should reflect the quality of our work, and while I've not inspected Sven's work up close, I suspect he's there, or soon will be.

Funny - I haven't even built one yet, but since I started buying tools, books, and wood for building, I have very little desire to buy another one either. The same thing happened to me when I started building bicycles. Now every bicycle I see, I start thinking either about how to build it, or how to cut it up for parts. I don't think about cutting up ukes for parts, but I sure do think about how hard it would be to build a new model when I see one.

Great pineapple, by the way Sven. I think Matt hit pretty close to a starting price. I notice Ken Timms sopranos have now reached an asking price of about $600 used on FleaMarketMusic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom