how to tune a ukulele?

izzypwns

Reaction score
how do you guys tune a ukulele without a tuner?? i finally bought a ukulele yesterday

Search for ukulele tuner online and you'll find a few. They're not 100% accurate but they work in a pinch until you can buy a digital tuner.

You need some reference note to get you started. Middle "C" on a piano will give you the third (C) string note.
Once you have C tuned, fret the 3rd string at the 4th fret and you have a reference note to tune your 2nd (E) string. Once you have E, fret that string on the 5th fret to get your "A" note.

Now, turn to the 4th (G) string and tune it so the 2nd fret 4th string matches the open A string you already tuned.

That's it! There's more room for errors as the relative notes depend on the accuracy of the other ones you tuned rather than a solid reference note, but people have tuned that way for years before electronic tuners were invented.

I have been using the Cleartune iPhone app.... since I have my phone on me it has been really useful. I've had my ukulele about a month now and it is finally settling in to being mostly tuned after a day of sitting.

I'm not sure of your level of skill. Is this your first instrument or are you coming from some other instrument and just need a tuning scheme?

Whatever, if the following makes sense to you then do it.

Tune the A string to a reference pitch (A=440Hz.)
Tune the E string a perfect 4th below A string.
Tune the C string an octave below A string 3rd fret.
Tune the G string perfect 5th above C string.
Check 2nd fret on G string = A string.
Check 3rd fret on E string = G string.
Check 4th fret C string = E string.
repeat until happy.

Otherwise get an electronic cheating device.

Aloha Izzpwns,
A good suggestion would be, go to a music shop and get a clip on digital chormatic tuner. Good luck and let us know it works
out. "Keep them strings vibrating" Ukuleles are for ever...MM Stan....
BTW- congrats on you first purchase....

Top Bottom