Top 3/4 Soprano Uke strings

My top 3 strings are A, E, and C.

Ok, just kidding, I just tried Hilo for the first time and they are a little quiet, but pretty sounding. I had one uke that was coming off a little harsh. Pretty even response, if slow, they have a nice bounce to them.

I have two ukes with Martin flourocarbon, one with Black Diamond nylon, one with natural gut, and one with the Hilo's. After doing test recordings on each uke, these sounded best with what I have.

I used to have Ko'olau Golds on most of my ukes, and I still would if I played live. But they are a little too brilliant and strong for my recording setup. The mics pick up a "woosh woosh" noise on strums, for example. I like the feel and the golden sound but they seem to overwhelm the soundboards on my ukes.

The jury's still out, but in general I would put flourocarbon first, natural gut second, Ko'olau Gold third, but it depends on the effect you want.

For brightness, Aquilas. For a more mellow but smoother feel, D'Addarios. J71s, I think the number is. The clear ones.

I like the fluorocarbon strings. I have not used any other except Worth, because they have worked well for me. They have lots of ring and clarity and a nice full sound. They seem to really let the instrument sing. Aquilas are favored by many, but each time I have tried them I have come back to either brown or clear Worths.

I love the brown worth strings on my Kamoa soprano, very bright and clear sounding. I couldn't imagine any better sound coming from this instrument.

I think, too, that the strings have to match the uke. Bright strings can make an already bright uke sound brash. Even harsh. Mellow strings can make an already mellow uke sound muted and dull. Depends on the sound you're looking for, too.

Agree with ichadwick. Totally depends on the uke. Put mellow strings on a Flea, and it sounds dull because the Flea in general is a mellower sounding instrument.

I'm enjoying Fremont Blacklines on my Flea, and Aquilas on my Martin S-O.

Cheers,
Skottoman

Top Bottom