anybody NOT name your ukulele/s?

cletus

Reaction score
I dunno, perhaps I lack inspiration and creativity, but my Kala lacewood and spruce tenor remains nameless. Does the "naming factor" kick in with the gratification of UAS? Or what?

I think some people are namers, and others aren't. I now have 10 ukes, love them all, but no names. I guess I just don't think of them like that. I don't name my cars either.
–Lori

No names here. A buddy named my Irish themed Cigar Box uke though.

I don't name my instruments, but I own a 1964 VW Beetle named "Iggy"....does that count?

Nope. I think the only "cool" named instrument is BB King's Lucille.

I try to, but the names don't stick. I can't even remember what I name them after a few days. :B

I would think you would have to name them something like Pat until you figure out if it's a boy or a girl :)

I gave all of my ukes the same first name so it would be easy to remember. "The". "The" tenor, "The" soprano, "The" concert, "The" Super Concert, "The Pineapple and "The" Fluke. And soon, "The" Kamaka.

Jude

I gave all of my ukes the same first name so it would be easy to remember. "The". "The" tenor, "The" soprano, "The" concert, "The" Super Concert, "The Pineapple and "The" Fluke. And soon, "The" Kamaka.

Jude

LOL!! I guess we have the same ukes then:)

My brother names his guns haha.

My Ohana has a name that's not really a name, I call it Peanut Butter CHocolate, cuz the mahogany neck is peanut butter colored and the rosewood fretboard looks like dark chocolate next to it. My old starter uke has a sticker on it that says "Happy" so I guess it could be called that, but it really should be called Frowney, since it sounds so crappy.

I don't name any of my instruments.

Maybe it is like when you grow up on a farm, you are told never to name the animals because that day always comes when it is time for them to go, one way or the other.

I too have tried to name my ukes, but the names I have come up with don't stick. Perhaps for the same reason. I just have no emotional connection to them. I am hopeful though that when my new strings come on Monday for my concert fluke s/he will be able to sing like an angel and a name will be in order. If not, s/he will remain an "it" and will be headed to different pastures.

Mike
ukuDaily.com
<><

I have never named an instrument, but it might be because I grew up with a family of professional musical performers and there were always lots of instruments lying around. I have a friend with a cat that he never named, so the vet calls it "black and white cat".

I am very emotionally attached to my two ukuleles, and I refer to both of them as "him" but they are nameless. So I don't think it has anything to do with emotional attachment.

For me, I only name things that I don't like. For example, my first car I named kokemomo (i forget if thats the right spelling) which means slime in Japanese.

Top Bottom