PDA

View Full Version : anybody NOT name your ukulele/s?

cletus
05-08-2010, 02:53 PM
I dunno, perhaps I lack inspiration and creativity, but my Kala lacewood and spruce tenor remains nameless. Does the "naming factor" kick in with the gratification of UAS? Or what?

Lori
05-08-2010, 02:57 PM
I think some people are namers, and others aren't. I now have 10 ukes, love them all, but no names. I guess I just don't think of them like that. I don't name my cars either.
–Lori

Steiner
05-08-2010, 03:02 PM
No names here. A buddy named my Irish themed Cigar Box uke though.

KevinV
05-08-2010, 03:07 PM
The only instrument I ever named was my first really nice electric guitar when I was 17. Since then, I've never named an instrument.

mailman
05-08-2010, 03:33 PM
I don't name my instruments, but I own a 1964 VW Beetle named "Iggy"....does that count?

Brad Bordessa
05-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Nope. I think the only "cool" named instrument is BB King's Lucille.

haole
05-08-2010, 03:42 PM
I try to, but the names don't stick. I can't even remember what I name them after a few days. :B

Toucan Mango
05-08-2010, 03:53 PM
No names here either. :cool:

Rodrigo
05-08-2010, 03:56 PM
No names here either.

Keef
05-08-2010, 03:59 PM
I would think you would have to name them something like Pat until you figure out if it's a boy or a girl :)

euchre
05-08-2010, 03:59 PM
No names here. I don't refer to them as "he" or "she" either.

haolejohn
05-08-2010, 04:00 PM
why name an object that can't respond independantly when you call it?

heyjude
05-08-2010, 04:01 PM
I gave all of my ukes the same first name so it would be easy to remember. "The". "The" tenor, "The" soprano, "The" concert, "The" Super Concert, "The Pineapple and "The" Fluke. And soon, "The" Kamaka.

Jude

haolejohn
05-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I gave all of my ukes the same first name so it would be easy to remember. "The". "The" tenor, "The" soprano, "The" concert, "The" Super Concert, "The Pineapple and "The" Fluke. And soon, "The" Kamaka.

Jude

LOL!! I guess we have the same ukes then:)

Dane
05-08-2010, 04:08 PM
My brother names his guns haha.

My Ohana has a name that's not really a name, I call it Peanut Butter CHocolate, cuz the mahogany neck is peanut butter colored and the rosewood fretboard looks like dark chocolate next to it. My old starter uke has a sticker on it that says "Happy" so I guess it could be called that, but it really should be called Frowney, since it sounds so crappy.

Dane
05-08-2010, 04:12 PM
why name an object that can't respond independantly when you call it?

Mine stares at me when I don't play it, and when it's in its case I can hear it yelling at me. I'm pretty sure it has a mind of its own.

GVlog
05-08-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't name any of my instruments.

ukuDaily
05-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Maybe it is like when you grow up on a farm, you are told never to name the animals because that day always comes when it is time for them to go, one way or the other.

I too have tried to name my ukes, but the names I have come up with don't stick. Perhaps for the same reason. I just have no emotional connection to them. I am hopeful though that when my new strings come on Monday for my concert fluke s/he will be able to sing like an angel and a name will be in order. If not, s/he will remain an "it" and will be headed to different pastures.

Mike
ukuDaily.com (http://www.ukudaily.com)
<><

Pippin
05-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I have never named an instrument, but it might be because I grew up with a family of professional musical performers and there were always lots of instruments lying around. I have a friend with a cat that he never named, so the vet calls it "black and white cat".

dianalele
05-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I am very emotionally attached to my two ukuleles, and I refer to both of them as "him" but they are nameless. So I don't think it has anything to do with emotional attachment.

For me, I only name things that I don't like. For example, my first car I named kokemomo (i forget if thats the right spelling) which means slime in Japanese.

haolejohn
05-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I am very emotionally attached to my two ukuleles, and I refer to both of them as "him" but they are nameless. So I don't think it has anything to do with emotional attachment.

For me, I only name things that I don't like. For example, my first car I named kokemomo (i forget if thats the right spelling) which means slime in Japanese.

So when you have kids you are just going to call them kid?:) that is the first time I have ever heard someone only naming things they don't like. what kind of car was slime?

70sSanO
05-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I have never named an instrument, even through times when my guitar seemed like my only friend. Instruments are only objects. It actually makes some sense because a ukulele doesn't really bring you joy, it is playing that ukulele that puts a smile on your face. All it takes is a stroll through a Guitar Center to realize it is not the instrument.

John

cornfedgroove
05-08-2010, 07:22 PM
never named a single instrument, and like many people, I've owned a lot

ukulelearp
05-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I always found it silly to name inanimate objects.

itsme
05-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I've never named an instrument, either. They go by the brand name or the name of the luthier that made it.

WS64
05-08-2010, 11:01 PM
I never named any of my instruments, nor do I know anyone who did so. Except B.B.King, but then again I of course do not really know him!

ichadwick
05-09-2010, 01:09 AM
I dunno, perhaps I lack inspiration and creativity, but my Kala lacewood and spruce tenor remains nameless. Does the "naming factor" kick in with the gratification of UAS? Or what?
I name none of my inanimate objects. They are, in the truest Buddhist sense of the meaning, merely objects of attachment. To me, naming an item suggests an intimate, personal relationship such as we have with friends, family, and pets. As much as I love playing my ukuleles, and using many of my other material possessions, in a house fire I would fight to save my wife, my dog and my cats long, long before I would look for material items to rescue.

I have always assumed that, if you name your ukulele, you should also name your toaster, your printer, your exercise machine, your bread maker, your can opener, your microwave oven, your motorcycle, amplifier, TV set, your circular saw, your bookcase, office des, headphones, your dining room rug, the dining room agave plant... why stop at ukuleles? And I simply can't come up with any cute or endearing names for household objects. After all, will my collander respond if I call it "The Red Darling of Saladry"? Will I appreciate it more for its name, treasure its fading plastic surface, wash it with more gentle affection and then stow it away with a sense of loss for time not spent together? Will I mourn its passing when it finally gets thrown out and a replacement purchased? Should I begin the naming process in the store, picking garden ornaments and kitchenware by how well they fit the name I imagine for them?

Or will naming objects somehow depreciate my relationship with friends, family and pets, in that , since a name is special, they will appear to all be on the same level of attachment and relationship to me? Doesn't a name bestow affection? Or at least personal association? Can an inanimate object return that emotion? If so, then we should love mirrors most of all!

I did appreciate the humour in The Gods Must be Crazy when the Land Rover was named The Anti-Christ. But try as I may, I have not been able to apply a name to an object, even a ukulele, with anything more lasting than sarcasm or tongue-in-cheek humor. I am quite comfortable using the label - my Kala cedar uke, my Boat Paddle, my Mainland and so on.

dnewton2
05-09-2010, 03:47 AM
Don't name mine. I call them what they are. Pass me my Koa Pili Koko/Stagg/Moore Bettah. They were given a name by their makers.

SweetWaterBlue
05-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Don't name my ukes or my cars, or other inantimate objects, and was barely able to think up names for my 3 kids before it was time to take them home from the hospital after being born.

Skottoman
05-09-2010, 03:55 AM
I name my cars, but not my Ukes.

Pukulele Pete
05-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Of course not.

Thumper
05-09-2010, 04:41 AM
I really love my ukes, but have no inclination to name them. I just call them what they are: the Flea, the Fluke, the Kala thinline.

buddhuu
05-09-2010, 05:03 AM
No names here.

ricksan66
05-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Two ukes and no names.

masoncade
05-09-2010, 05:41 AM
i just realized i've only name my acoustic instruments. my kala pineapple's name is gloria, and my acoustic guitar's name is bessuh.

Dane
05-09-2010, 05:53 AM
They are, in the truest Buddhist sense of the meaning, merely objects of attachment. To me, naming an item suggests an intimate, personal relationship such as we have with friends, family, and pets. As much as I love playing my ukuleles, and using many of my other material possessions, in a house fire I would fight to save my wife, my dog and my cats long, long before I would look for material items to rescue.

I am extremely attached to my Tenor, I love it to death. But sadly, since I live on a mountain in southern California, I am so used to evacuating my house during fires (there's even more the last few years) that I don't take anything anymore........... Does that make me a bad person? haha

My ukes gonna hate me for sayin that. Everytime I say somethin bad in reference to my uke, it will be uncooperative for a week or so.

sukie
05-09-2010, 06:57 AM
My ukuleles have no names. They haven't revealed themselves to me. When I got my car though, I knew immediately that her name was Thelma. Odd.

dianalele
05-09-2010, 07:59 AM
So when you have kids you are just going to call them kid?:) that is the first time I have ever heard someone only naming things they don't like. what kind of car was slime?

lolol i never thought of that. yeah i guess they be called kid. Or I could name a girl "girl" and a boy "boy". perfect.
It was a 1998 toyota corolla in terrible condition. haha.
I am now a proud owner of a 2009 scion xD. But this car does not have a name. its just "car".

Chris Tarman
05-09-2010, 08:02 AM
I've never named my ukes or any other instruments, except the Rickenbacker bass I had in college (which was imaginatively named "Rick"). It's not that I don't WANT to name them. I just never bother. In regards to the discussion about inanimate objects, ever since I was a little kid, I have felt that SOME inanimate objects are sort of "semi-animate" objects, if that makes any sense. MOST things, such as kitchen utensils and mass-produced man-made objects I consider truly inanimate. However, in my mind, certain other objects have a bit of personality that makes them different from other similar objects. Ok, I just realized that this makes me sound like a total lunatic! But instruments, for example, are all slightly different from one another. I totally realize that it is NOT a personality inherent to the object, but just my personal interpretation of its qualities. But it seems enough like a personality to me. Things like instruments, tobacco pipes (which I collect), and some (but not all) bicycles are all things that I feel connected to in a different way than I do to things like watches, forks, cameras, etc,etc,etc. I still don't name any of those objects though.

ukecantdothat
05-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Nope. I think the only "cool" named instrument is BB King's Lucille.

Me either, no names here, but I'll add Clapton's "Blackie" and Van Halen's "Frankenstein" to list of cool guitar names.

haolejohn
05-09-2010, 08:26 AM
lolol i never thought of that. yeah i guess they be called kid. Or I could name a girl "girl" and a boy "boy". perfect.
It was a 1998 toyota corolla in terrible condition. haha.
I am now a proud owner of a 2009 scion xD. But this car does not have a name. its just "car".

I love it. I actually have a 1995 toyota corolla still. almost 300K and it'd still b e running if i fix the water hose.

Chris Tarman
05-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Me either, no names here, but I'll add Clapton's "Blackie" and Van Halen's "Frankenstein" to list of cool guitar names.

I saw that Melissa82 named one of her ukes "Mr. Smashy", which I would definitely put in the "cool instrument name" category. In fact, as someone said on the thread where I saw the name, it may be the greatest instrument name ever.

pulelehua
05-09-2010, 10:10 AM
If my ukulele ever tells me its name, I'll start using it. As things stand, I don't want to invade its privacy.

mailman
05-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I've never named my ukes or any other instruments, except the Rickenbacker bass I had in college (which was imaginatively named "Rick"). It's not that I don't WANT to name them. I just never bother. In regards to the discussion about inanimate objects, ever since I was a little kid, I have felt that SOME inanimate objects are sort of "semi-animate" objects, if that makes any sense. MOST things, such as kitchen utensils and mass-produced man-made objects I consider truly inanimate. However, in my mind, certain other objects have a bit of personality that makes them different from other similar objects. Ok, I just realized that this makes me sound like a total lunatic! But instruments, for example, are all slightly different from one another. I totally realize that it is NOT a personality inherent to the object, but just my personal interpretation of its qualities. But it seems enough like a personality to me. Things like instruments, tobacco pipes (which I collect), and some (but not all) bicycles are all things that I feel connected to in a different way than I do to things like watches, forks, cameras, etc,etc,etc. I still don't name any of those objects though.

I'd heard some folks collect tobacco pipes. I wonder how much my old briars and meershaums are worth?

jer989
05-09-2010, 02:28 PM
no uke naming here - I think that there's just some types of people that are 'namers', and some of us that aren't...

Chris Tarman
05-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I'd heard some folks collect tobacco pipes. I wonder how much my old briars and meershaums are worth?

Depends on what they are. If you want to PM me with a few brand names, I could possibly give you a rough idea. I was just in Chicago last weekend for a really HUGE pipe show. I have over 500 pipes and have been collecting for about 25 years.

haolejohn
05-09-2010, 02:56 PM
I saw that Melissa82 named one of her ukes "Mr. Smashy", which I would definitely put in the "cool instrument name" category. In fact, as someone said on the thread where I saw the name, it may be the greatest instrument name ever.

That is a cool name but greatest ever? I think someone is just kissing mod behind:)

UkeNukem
05-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I don't name instruments either but refer to them by maker. I have a 1992 Taurus station wagon I call "Boris". We now name any old Taurus wagons we see, like "Doris", "Morris", "Delores", & "Horace". Seems to fit for some reason. "Doris" actually lives at our mechanics shop and "Boris" has been caught peeking at her undercarriage when she is on the lift.

cletus
05-09-2010, 03:41 PM
There was a Seinfeld episode about a womans name rhyming, but I don't remember if she played the uke.

dianalele
05-09-2010, 05:12 PM
If my ukulele ever tells me its name, I'll start using it. As things stand, I don't want to invade its privacy.

lolol

that is my new reason for not naming my ukulele. its brilliant.

clayton56
05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
naming is ok if you have two or three but after a while you run out of names. Ever meet anybody with a strange name, and then find out they were the youngest in a large family?

I refer to them by the brand and wood type.

luvdat
05-13-2010, 03:10 AM
Remember their faces, forget their names...

UncleElvis
05-13-2010, 03:46 AM
"If my ukulele ever tells me its name, I'll start using it. As things stand, I don't want to invade its privacy."

Mine told me his name... it's "CrrrrrLANNNNNGGGGGgonk" (The sound of a poorly played Bb chord with a weak barre on the A string), but I just call it "The Big 'un"
There's also "The Little 'un" (Also known as "The crappy $40 one that actually sounds ok") and "Seeboo" (For CBU).

Then again, I'm a namer. My vocal coach and I named my high notes... Francesca, she used to be pursued, but now is an old friend. Georgina? I made her my girl. Next, when she's being nice, she's Angelique. When she's not, Angelina. Betty? I'm getting to know, but we're never gonna be close.

"How about Carmen?" I asked.
"Oh, no. No no. You're never gonna even MEET Carmen." He said.

The car is named Aetubee (for A to B) and the computer is "Baby" (I once had a tiny desk that I hated, tucked away in the living room. I named the computer so I could tell my wife that I needed a better desk and more space because... and I apologize for this... "Nobody puts Baby in a corner").

I had a friend who named their cat "Seefer", the car "Seefa" and their dog "Deefer" (Full names "Seefer Cat", "Seefa Car" (complete with the name painted on the door!) and "Deefer Dog"... say it out loud if you don't get it yet.), which always made me laugh.

UncleElvis
05-13-2010, 03:47 AM
Ever meet anybody with a strange name, and then find out they were the youngest in a large family?

I have a friend in Zimbabwe named Enough Kakweza. He's the youngest of 15.

retrozombi
05-13-2010, 03:56 AM
No names. Just descriptions.

And sometimes cursing when practice goes poorly.

tuscadero
05-13-2010, 05:51 AM
When I first started playing my son and his friends enthusiastically named all of my ukes. I've included explanations and they make more sense, if you remember, he was 12 at the time. As I get new ukes, I also give them names, because I don't like things half-done. That said, I rarely call them by name. If you're curious they are;

Purple Fluke: Prince
Baritone Hilo: Andre (as in "the Giant")
Soprano Hilo: Pau Hana (because that's what is painted on it, but I call it my signer uke, because I use it for autographs)
Tiki Flea: Tiki, Too (we also have a cat named Tiki, so this is to avoid confusing the two, I guess)
Stagg Concert: Bambi (it's a little stagg, get it)
Pono Tenor: the Covenant (because it was all fancy, and had an awesome case which they called, "The Ark of the Convenant." I sold this one.)
Fruity Yellow Mahalo: Daniel (this was to suggest that my son's friend, Daniel, was fruity, they were 12 years old.)
Mele Concert: Obama (I got this during the election)
Fender Nohea (with installed pickup): Honey (in reference to its color)
Big Island Honu Concert Deluxe Model: Clementine (I named this one after I bought it with the proceeds of a label design I illustrated for a clementine infused white ale, yummy)

So, what have we learned here? I'm a dork, and my kid needs a hobby.

Joe H
05-13-2010, 07:31 AM
I was going to name my ukes but when I thought about it it just seemed silly. So I call them by what the are the concert and the soprano. My next purchase will be another soprano so I'll start calling them by the brand or the wood.

portlandjosh
05-13-2010, 08:25 AM
I have fancy names for my ukes: I call my Fluke "my Fluke," and I call my Mainland "my Mainland"!

Teek
05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Three of ten have names that just seemed to be apparent when I met them, the others are just "The (brand name/size)'.

I do name my cars however because a study showed that people take care of their cars better when they give them a name. Same with my motorcycles and bicycles. I think naming the two wheelers comes by extension from 30+ years of having horses.

My van is very sleek and white, it has some odd gremlins and has waved it's wipers at me when just I put the key in the door lock (i canNOT figure that out), and almost always at the beginning of a long road trip. Like it's saying the equivalent of "Hi! Hi! Here we go!

It also rings the low gas chime when newly filled but never when low on fuel. I named it "Bruce" after the original mechanical great white shark in Jaws which also had odd gremlins. I used to call it "The Great White Shark" originally for it's looks, which is how it devolved into "Bruce" as the gremlins became apparent.

I also name my computers, hoping to influence them in a good way, since they definitely have their own personalities and quirks, and quantum science has proved the human mind can influence them purely by thought. So I want to think good things about them... :uhoh:

SailQwest
05-13-2010, 11:10 AM
My husband only named his ukuleles to humor me. :p

I named mine partly because it's easier and sweeter to me to say a name than model/wood/size.

Vindelanda
05-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I only sort of named mine, and only two of them. My purple Mahalo is known as "Purple" and my Oscar Schmidt is affectionately known as "Oscar." So if super unoriginal, uncreative names counts, then I've named them. I would like to name my Fluke, but I haven't come up with anything other than "Fluke...ey". :D

Kimosabe
05-13-2010, 11:38 AM
a bit cute, a bit precious

Woody guthrie had something on his guitar that said this machine kills fascists; I believe he worked his guitar to deserve displaying that message

B B King seems to have earned the right to name his guitar

KoPa
05-13-2010, 11:46 AM
i jus call it "my baby"