Your sentiments about all 4 strings being wound.

MoreUke

Reaction score
I ordered a set of tutti-fruiti colored strings from Guadalupe Custom Strings. They are really great looking. They are also wound - all 4 of them. Which made me somewhat hesitant to buy them.

As a Ukulele player I have not progressed far at all. But I found the strings squeaking (as my wife describes it) moving around the neck. Does this continue to be a problem as one's playing improves or is it kind of like walking. That is if you lift your feet higher you don't stumble as much.

Thank you.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

p.s my Ukulele is Oscar Schmidt OU-2and it came with some type of strings on it that none of them were wound and that is the strings I have kept on it.

The Monofilament strings are nylon and the Fibre Core strings are wound. Other than the "squeaking" how do you like the sound and playability?

I like the sound. My hearing is fairly bad though. My wife who has normal hearing says they sound good. The playability is great in my humble opinion. The squeaking was definitely prevalent. My question with changing/working on the playing technique, are people able to get rid of the squeaking or is that something that will probably be prevalent to some small extent.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

I like the sound. My hearing is fairly bad though. My wife who has normal hearing says they sound good. The playability is great in my humble opinion. The squeaking was definitely prevalent. My question with changing/working on the playing technique, are people able to get rid of the squeaking or is that something that will probably be prevalent to some small extent.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

I don't have any experience with ALL wound strings, but with the Kala Reds (2 wound), usually the chords were louder than the squeaking.

Have a Great Day,
Jim
Is the squeaking happening when you slide your fingers along the neck?

Is the squeaking happening when you slide your fingers along the neck?

It's when the fingers slide on the strings. But it's no big deal now. I tried to trim a string at the bridge and apparently trimming wound strings is something that shouldn't be done. All of the sudden one of the knot of the 3rd string came undone and the string unwound badly at that end. Not long enough to be able to recover. So the strings are now in the garbage. Will go back to what I had and have placed an order for new strings that aren't wound.

Top Bottom