PBS special on Kamaka family and ukuleles

Muppet-G

Reaction score
This has probably already been posted earlier. But wanted to let others who may not have seen know about it!
Just watched the PBS special online about the Kamaka family and their ukuleles. Link below should take you to it.
My favorite part was seeing how old-school the production process can be -- the scene where the ukulele body is bound using what looks like cord string to hold the body together while glue dries was fascinating! I also loved the interview with the deaf workers in the factory (working there for 40 years, long before Americans with Disability Act was created) who feel the vibrations of the instrument and know if it will sound right!
Enjoy!

http://video.pbs.org/video/1480799425

Can't watch it in the UK. :(

thanks, that was really interesting.

Awesome! I had been waiting to watch this since I had heard about it, but kept missing it when it aired on TV. Good to see it in othe internet finally. It's interesting b/c they talk about maintaining that "traditional" sound, and I think they've really done that well. I had my KoAloha tenor in hand when I was watching (not enough leisure time anymore to just watch TV without multitasking another hobby) and could really hear the diffference in tone from what the Kamakas on my surround sound were playing and what was coming out of my ukulele. Neither has a "better" tone, but you can tell that the tones are markedly different.

Happened to see most of it, which led me to begin searching (also an avid multitasker) and found this site. A total newbie that is struggling with fingering!!! But persevering :)

Same. I saw this on TV and I loved it.

Same for Germany. Not permitted to view the vid here.

Great story and mahalo for the link!!!

Hi folks

If anyone outside of US is interested, please contact me using private messaging.

Cheers
Chief

Awesome vid. ..

Top Bottom