easy strumming practice

engravertom

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
hello folks,

I posted my first tab on the tabs and chords forum. It involves tuning the uke to G4 B3 E4 A4.

While playing around with some of the notes in that arrangement, I started just playing around with some simple strumming. I discovered that while tuned that way, you can make an interesting chord progression with just one finger on the left hand.

Start with the 10th fret on the first string (A4), and strum all the strings. Then, move down to the 7th fret, then the 5th, then the 2nd, all on the first string, all the while strumming all the other strings open. The next position is to fret the 1st fret on the 3rd string, again leaving the others open. Move back to the 2nd fret 1st string, then start over at the top.

You can vary it quite a bit. One variation is to hold the 2nd fret position, and briefly fret the 3rd fret, and then back to the 2nd. When you want to end, you can jump up to the 14th fret, if you want.

This exercise lets you concentrate on your strumming, instead of fighting so much with the left hand.

I hope this makes some sense, and allows you all to have some fun while working on your strumming. I find it easier to minimize the variables when learning something new.

I don't know what you would call the chords, or what i have stumbled upon, if anything. it just sounds cool to me!

Take care,

Tom

Top Bottom