ukulele outdoors??

Tiesto27

Reaction score
im new to ukulele, but why does my uke sound different outdoors?? am i supposed to adjust the tuning outdoors? cause as soon as i step back indoors it sounds great! please help

im no expert but ukes will sound different outside. the acoustics are different, theres nothing for the sound to bounce off of like when youre playing in a room. also the strings tend to go out of tune more quickly due to temperature changes, etc. so make sure you check to see if youre in tune a little more frequently

im new to ukulele, but why does my uke sound different outdoors?? am i supposed to adjust the tuning outdoors? cause as soon as i step back indoors it sounds great! please help
The weather can effect tuning. I play outside alot and if weather is really hot I check my tuning quite frequently.

The weather can effect tuning. I play outside alot and if weather is really hot I check my tuning quite frequently.

it's actually the same when it's really cold. instruments generally sound dead and detune more in the cold then they do when they're warm. when i was in orchestra, i always hated playing outside. metal instruments could usually handle changes and warm quickly with playing, but my solid wood instrument would not and was always out of tune!

i was playing my uke on saturday morning while we were doing a yard sale and my friction tuners wouldn't hold my soprano in tune to save it's life.

You'll definitely get a different sound outside. Make sure you take a tuner with you and tune often. After about a half hour your uke should "normalize" to the conditions and you won't be retuning every ten seconds.

Also, where you are outside will affect it (big open space, trees, shelters, lots of people, etc).

~DB

Different acoustics. Just make sure you're in tune and you'll still sound fine to everyone else.

Top Bottom