The higher harmonics

broku

Reaction score
Hey,
I've been trying things out on my ukulele and i found a way to play the harmonics with my right hand, therefore leaving the left hand free to do what it will...so it did what it was supposed to do and i discovered something quite cool: If you place your left hand finger on the any fret(preferably low ones), you can place your "harmonic finger" on that number of fret + 12...not clear?
so you can do:no fret=harmonic to be placed on the 12th fret, 1st fret=harmonic on the 13th fret,etc...
I haven't seen anyone try this so i wondered if anyone else actually had?
I am also guessing that this is not very clear, so if anyone understands, please make things clearer :D

Jaco Pastorius played melodies on his fretless electric bass using that technique.

Theoretically, this works on other harmonics as well, not just the octave - but not really accessible on the uke.

Eddie Van Halen has done some cool solos using this technique, specifically when on a "Mean Street" theme.

Jason

Cool!thanks!you should try it out on the ukulele, it does give quite a nice sound.

There's a lesson on the website somewhere where Aldrine shows you how to do it.

Artificial harmonics. They are the bomb. Right now I'm trying to learn to play them loudly by "pinching" them instead of having to reformat your right hand. Eric Johnson does great stuff with artificial harmonics - lots of variations.

Top Bottom