Let down again by Duke Of Uke -

bazmaz

Reaction score
Full story on blog here - http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/05/duke-of-uke-not-store-i-can-ever.html

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I believe in whistleblowing poor service - I have complained to them by email, and I have been ignored.

Why oh why do people offer a web mail order service but fail to deliver.... I even spoke to them and took their promise having explained importance of the delivery being on time.

FAIL!

Suck.

I'm sorry your gift is late, but I'm sure they will understand.

yeah, have explained - they are ok with it. I just HATE it when shops promise something, and fail to deliver. Poor customer service - I will never order from them again, and, as you will see, will actively tell my story - simply because I dont want my uke friends being let down..

By way of an update, to be fair to the shop, they finally emailed me today to confirm they have refunded my postage.

Sadly no apology or in fact ANY comment at all on the situation.....

mad update!!

Following the above, and following me finally getting the item one month ago - any idea why they emailed me today (4th June, one month later) to tell me my item despatched today??

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/06/brilliant-duke-of-uke-farce-update.html

Sorry to sound like I am griping, but us Uke buyers dont find instruments on every high street corner - we therefore rely on good sellers who are good to their word. In fact, never mind ukes, online shops should be good to their word anyway!

Nothing annoys me more than an online shop that is hastily put together, not checked and badly run.

Thanks Duke Of Uke....

mad update!!

Following the above, and following me finally getting the item one month ago - any idea why they emailed me today (4th June, one month later) to tell me my item despatched today??...

Maybe they're actually sending you another one? :) :)

mad update!!

Following the above, and following me finally getting the item one month ago - any idea why they emailed me today (4th June, one month later) to tell me my item despatched today??

That's crazy. I have followed your story since the beginning, I am quite surprise to know such a famous shop can't deliver decent mail order, but sometimes, I guess people just don't understand how to run a business. I have also commented on your blog.

Well, nothing else arrived - obvious glitch with their system - who knows, maybe another "despatched email" in the next month!

More seriously - I am getting loads of comments via the blog saying others have said the same thing - that the webstore seems a bit of an afterthought that is clearly not kept up to date or monitored.

What is sad is that if you google uke stores in UK, you are likely to find Duke Of Uke a high ranking return.. I am sure the shop is brilliant, but its 2010 - if you run a web store, you need to make it work properly..

Duke of Uke is more into self promotion, than into selling ukes. I have never had or heard from a single positive buying experience concerning this store. Prices are also not really competitive. Beware!

I can only "speak as I find" and I had no problems when I bought a tenor case from them by mail order. It wasn't that cheap, but their service was very good on that occasion. What is frustrating is the fact they don't seem to have updated their website for years. "Duke of Uke" is a great name, but according to this thread, the shop seems to be losing any reputation it had.

As I've said (before I get flamed) I only have real experience of the webstore, not the actual shop, but the webstore is shocking and has let me down twice. Its simple really - if you are going to run a web shop front - it has to work. People click "pay" and they assume the item is coming. And theres another thing, you do get web stores that only charge your card when the item ships - but oh no, not Duke Of Uke!! (poor really)

Saying that, I have had some contact with the store, when I have called them. Recent experience they just simply didnt follow up with their promise. First problem I had, they just sounded totally uninterested and not bothered that I was taking business elsewhere. Asked when they would get items in stop, and response was "dunno really, not up to me".

All in all,very poor. I hope they read this thread and take note. I think all the comments have been factual and constructive. They dont need to do THAT much to sort out the webstore side.

(they are, in my view, a bit pricey though - but I suppose London premises dictate that)

The store itself isn't any better. When trying out a number of instruments there it was more of a choice between which ukes didn't buzz rather than which I liked the sound of. The concept of setting up seems to have eluded them!

Their in store prices are also significantly higher (20% in some cases) than the internet ones.

As you might gather, I'm not a fan, possibly because they sold me a Kala mango(laminate) soprano as solid mango......

Every time I see "Duke of Uke" I subconsciously start humming "Duke of Earl" (Duke, Duke, Duke... Duke of Uke, uke, uke...). I know, totally irrelevant. ;)

I bought my first decent Uke from the Duke of Uke, a Lanikai C-KC which was described as Koa, only to find out months later that it is laminate koa, plus I've since seen them for much less than I paid.
Uk buyers should consider The Southern Ukulele Store, I've heard plenty of good things about them.

I bought my first decent Uke from the Duke of Uke, a Lanikai C-KC which was described as Koa, only to find out months later that it is laminate koa, plus I've since seen them for much less than I paid.
Uk buyers should consider The Southern Ukulele Store, I've heard plenty of good things about them.

Glad I'm not the only one =D

Aloha Paul,
I can understand your disappointment, I too have been let down many times by the same
situation after being promised when ordered that it will be delivered on time. Why do
these sales representatives constantly do this?? I believe that they believe they need
to make the sale at any cost, and don't realize that they are doing a disservice to
their company, probally losing that customer forever. Bussiness who believe the
sale is more important, is not in it for the long haul, rather a short term thing.
Sorry but true....All aside, How's the guitar sounding??I hope it is helping you relax
after this situation....Take Care Buddy, And "Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...

Southern Ukulele Store is the best place I have come across in the UK - have ordered several times from them on ebay and been very pleased so far.

+1 for southern ukulele store

also, guys at Eagle Music are great

Full story on blog here - http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/05/duke-of-uke-not-store-i-can-ever.html

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I believe in whistleblowing poor service - I have complained to them by email, and I have been ignored.

Why oh why do people offer a web mail order service but fail to deliver.... I even spoke to them and took their promise having explained importance of the delivery being on time.

FAIL!

I agree with your thoughts. Passing on info like you did at least gives a heads up to other players. Why these businesses shoot themselves in the foot is beyond me.... They need to Cowboy Up! ... :)

Top Bottom