Quantity or Quality?

Paul December

Reaction score
:confused: Given the choice to own One $1,000 Uke, or Three Ukes (different sizes, tunings, brands - your choice) adding up to $1,000, which would you choose?

...this is not in addition to what you already own ;)

Although I generally only play a soprano, I think I'd select the option of 3 ukes.

At $333 each, those could be pretty good instruments and provide some variety when needed.

I'd probably get a soprano, concert, and ... maybe another soprano.

Somehow I find the tenor a bit of a reach for my shorter fingers, even though I used to play
tenor and baritone almost exclusively.

Since rediscovering the soprano, however, well, it's my ukulele of choice.

Thanks for asking,

I would also choose 3 ukes. Different songs call for different sounds, which calls for a different uke. It's just the way it is.

Although if you're giving them out, I'll take that 1,000 uke off your hands.

1,000 uke.

I'd rather have one baby to take around then 8. Now I have my Kanile'a. I'd be happy if thats the last and only uke I'd have but I have a herd of ukes.

A lanikai, kala, bushman, and hilo. Granted the hilo is a autograph uke.

I would rather have one $1,000 really good uke

I'll go for quantity.

Four for me. Two beaters at $150 each (low-g and high-g). Two players at $350 each (low-g and high-g). Then I also invite my friends for a kanikapila and we play all night.

three ukes. Would be same response on guitars. A £1000 uke is not three times better than a £300 uke sound wise. Might look fancy, might look drop dead gorgeous, may well sound better, but will not be three times better in sound.

Same with guitars.

In the same way that a £100 bottle of wine may well taste fantastic - but really, really? really? 10x better than a £10 bottle??

Actually, you could get a really nice KoAloha and another uke to take on the road at that price. For that matter, Ohana's CK300G and two other ukes would be nice, too. Maybe a guitar and a uke.

3... I have 7 kids and I am a klutz! An expensive Uke would make me too nervous. Heck, my Kala makes me nervous. It fell off my lap during our lady Uke jam and hit the floor with a loud thud. You could hear a collective gasp from all the jammers. I have a few more finish scratches to add to my collection of Kala memories: This is the time I pulled it out to annoy my husband in the can and hit the radio. This is the time I dropped it at the Uke jam.

So give me 3! Plus I like different ukes to sound different for different things.

:confused: Given the choice to own One $1,000 Uke, or Three Ukes (different sizes, tunings, brands - your choice) adding up to $1,000, which would you choose?

...this is not in addition to what you already own ;)

Thank goodness I don't have to make this choice.
I want many expensive ukes.

Definitely quantity without doubt! I prefer to have a few different uke so I can play around with then one.
I dont think I can bring around a $1000 uke. So I will need at least one for tossing around in the house and going to the beach (hello, flea! I dont have it yet but saving for it right now). Heck, I have difficulty even bringing my Ohana SK-35 outside though I am sure some of you think it is a cheapo. I just dont feel comfortable bringing an expensive uke around, if I cant relax, I cant enjoy the music.

(Okay folks, finals are over, so I'm back.)

Normally, I'd go with the three-sopranos option, but since I'm really itchin' for a RISA cherry sunburst LP electric uke, I'd take the one $1000 uke (even though the RISA is less dough than that). If I had a bunch of ukuleles, I'd get all flustered trying to balance my playing time with them (I feel guilty about spending too much time with one inanimate object over another :rolleyes:).

Besides, I think it'd be awesome to have a super-custom soprano, like a Talsma- or Heilman-built uke. For me, it's quality.

if we're not going by what we already own, i'd have the $1000 uke. like was said before, most really good ukes are going to see the beach and they do survive. but then again, it depends on how close to the water i'm going to get lol. i already own 3 ukes costing me a grand total of just over $300 and i'm quite pleased with those. but then again, it all depends on how good the cheaper ukes would be. but i already know i'm going to own at least one $1000ish uke.

Definitely one ukulele.

Top Bottom