PDA

View Full Version : Quantity or Quality?

Paul December
05-11-2010, 08:42 AM
:confused: Given the choice to own One $1,000 Uke, or Three Ukes (different sizes, tunings, brands - your choice) adding up to $1,000, which would you choose?

...this is not in addition to what you already own ;)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
05-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Although I generally only play a soprano, I think I'd select the option of 3 ukes.

At $333 each, those could be pretty good instruments and provide some variety when needed.

I'd probably get a soprano, concert, and ... maybe another soprano.

Somehow I find the tenor a bit of a reach for my shorter fingers, even though I used to play
tenor and baritone almost exclusively.

Since rediscovering the soprano, however, well, it's my ukulele of choice.

Thanks for asking,

Skitzic
05-11-2010, 09:00 AM
I would also choose 3 ukes. Different songs call for different sounds, which calls for a different uke. It's just the way it is.

Although if you're giving them out, I'll take that 1,000 uke off your hands.

CoLmes
05-11-2010, 09:44 AM
1,000 uke.

I'd rather have one baby to take around then 8. Now I have my Kanile'a. I'd be happy if thats the last and only uke I'd have but I have a herd of ukes.

A lanikai, kala, bushman, and hilo. Granted the hilo is a autograph uke.

Thumper
05-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Three ukes for me, thanks. Or maybe four or five, actually.

kenikas
05-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Definetly three different, I'd have to have at least one low g.

Oh...bummer!

ashleychantel
05-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I would rather have one $1,000 really good uke

GVlog
05-11-2010, 10:09 AM
I'll go for quantity.

Four for me. Two beaters at $150 each (low-g and high-g). Two players at $350 each (low-g and high-g). Then I also invite my friends for a kanikapila and we play all night.

bazmaz
05-11-2010, 10:10 AM
three ukes. Would be same response on guitars. A 1000 uke is not three times better than a 300 uke sound wise. Might look fancy, might look drop dead gorgeous, may well sound better, but will not be three times better in sound.

Same with guitars.

In the same way that a 100 bottle of wine may well taste fantastic - but really, really? really? 10x better than a 10 bottle??

Pippin
05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Actually, you could get a really nice KoAloha and another uke to take on the road at that price. For that matter, Ohana's CK300G and two other ukes would be nice, too. Maybe a guitar and a uke.

DeG
05-11-2010, 10:33 AM
The answer is simple....Yes!;)

GVlog
05-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Actually, you could get a really nice KoAloha and another uke to take on the road at that price.
Thought about that but they'd have to be concerts. Me wants four tenors. :)

Mim
05-11-2010, 10:51 AM
3... I have 7 kids and I am a klutz! An expensive Uke would make me too nervous. Heck, my Kala makes me nervous. It fell off my lap during our lady Uke jam and hit the floor with a loud thud. You could hear a collective gasp from all the jammers. I have a few more finish scratches to add to my collection of Kala memories: This is the time I pulled it out to annoy my husband in the can and hit the radio. This is the time I dropped it at the Uke jam.

So give me 3! Plus I like different ukes to sound different for different things.

haolejohn
05-11-2010, 11:02 AM
I'll take one nice uke.
No wait make that one nice koaloha concert and then two nice imports.
No wait, make that one nice Mele tenor, one Honu concert and a mainland soprano.
No wait just one koaloha tenor.
No wait...What was the original question?

SailingUke
05-11-2010, 11:21 AM
:confused: Given the choice to own One $1,000 Uke, or Three Ukes (different sizes, tunings, brands - your choice) adding up to $1,000, which would you choose?

Thank goodness I don't have to make this choice.
I want many expensive ukes.

alicecat
05-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Definitely quantity without doubt! I prefer to have a few different uke so I can play around with then one.
I dont think I can bring around a $1000 uke. So I will need at least one for tossing around in the house and going to the beach (hello, flea! I dont have it yet but saving for it right now). Heck, I have difficulty even bringing my Ohana SK-35 outside though I am sure some of you think it is a cheapo. I just dont feel comfortable bringing an expensive uke around, if I cant relax, I cant enjoy the music.

StereoJoker
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
(Okay folks, finals are over, so I'm back.)

Normally, I'd go with the three-sopranos option, but since I'm really itchin' for a RISA cherry sunburst LP electric uke, I'd take the one $1000 uke (even though the RISA is less dough than that). If I had a bunch of ukuleles, I'd get all flustered trying to balance my playing time with them (I feel guilty about spending too much time with one inanimate object over another :rolleyes:).

Besides, I think it'd be awesome to have a super-custom soprano, like a Talsma- or Heilman-built uke. For me, it's quality.

arashi_nero
05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
if we're not going by what we already own, i'd have the $1000 uke. like was said before, most really good ukes are going to see the beach and they do survive. but then again, it depends on how close to the water i'm going to get lol. i already own 3 ukes costing me a grand total of just over $300 and i'm quite pleased with those. but then again, it all depends on how good the cheaper ukes would be. but i already know i'm going to own at least one $1000ish uke.

cornfedgroove
05-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I would take one $1000 uke over three $300 ukes anyday. They do look and sound that much better

pulelehua
05-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Definitely one ukulele.

Ukulele Dude
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Even though I'm a big uke snob and I love my high end ukes, I would have to go with three. I just couldn't limit myself to one tuning all the time. And there are some pretty good playing ukes out there for $333 or less, especially if I was allowed to buy used. Plus if I only had one expensive one, I'd be afraid to take it out on the porch or let the kids play it. Gotta have beaters for that stuff.

dnewton2
05-11-2010, 12:51 PM
One uke. I have not figured out how to play more than one at a time...............yet.

mailman
05-11-2010, 12:51 PM
I can't see me limiting myself to only one uke, regardless of cost or quality. I don't believe I'll ever be a serious enough player to warrant a $1,000 uke. If I had one, I'd be afraid to use it.

I need a concert in high G and one in low G. I'd like a soprano in C tuning and one in D tuning. I'd like a reso-uke and a banjo uke. Have I reached three yet? I need one each; a vintage Martin, Gretsch and Gibson. I would have to have a flea or a fluke to bang around with. Three yet? Of course, I'd need a mahogany, a koa, a mango, a cherry.... Oh. I think I may have passed three.

Give me decent quality in quantity....

Sambient
05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
The Kamoa Laminate Pineapple
A Flea, plastic fretboard (and maybe a pickup)
And I'd still be able to get something pretty yummy in the solid catagory. Hell, could even do an entry level Loprinzi.

Deets
05-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Definitely three uke's.

I'm terrified of really expensive intruments and I'd much rather have three different sized, dependable, instruments!

portlandjosh
05-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I'd do three ukes for sure, but I wouldn't get all three in the $333 range. Like others, I'd get a couple of nice low costs (a used Fluke/Flea and a Mainland) and a KoAloha. Gee, in fact that kinda sounds like what I'm doing in real life... Minus the KoAloha, so far.

haolejohn
05-11-2010, 02:36 PM
After reading these posts, I have to ask how many of is have played a 1000$ 'ukulele? I would honestly take a koaloha tenor over 3 ukes totaling 1000$. Everyone that has been here for awhile know I'm a Mele fanboy but once I got my first high end uke I was ruined. So it would have to be a nice $1000 uke for me and I wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere. Heck, I just took my koaloha concert on a 1000 mile motorcycle ride.

ceviche
05-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I hereby undermine the question! One top-of-the-line soprano or concert and the remaining cash on a mid-price (import?) tenor.

Actually, given the choice of The One or The three lessers, I would go with the expensive uke. I mean, why settle for anything less than a solid-koa uke--especially when given the choice?

--Dave E.

Brad Bordessa
05-11-2010, 02:46 PM
After reading these posts, I have to ask how many of is have played a 1000$ 'ukulele?

Me. I've played a $10,000 'ukulele. Really. The quality is worth every penny for a good, singing $1000 instrument. I'm still not sure if that holds true for the $10,000 one, but if they are going give it to me, hey...

I'd take just one. Anytime I play a different 'ukulele than my own I feel lost. Plus, I'd like to have an 'ukulele like Willie's "Trigger" guitar and be able to say "that's the only instrument I played for 40 years".

cornfedgroove
05-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't believe I'll ever be a serious enough player to warrant a $1,000 uke.

spending $1000 is still spending $1000. If you think you're good enough to warrant 3 ukes, you're good enough to warrant one.

specialmike
05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
After reading these posts, I have to ask how many of is have played a 1000$ 'ukulele? I would honestly take a koaloha tenor over 3 ukes totaling 1000$.

Hey John, ahahahahaaha I have one and you dont' ahahahahahaha ! well, the tenor anyways XD... hehe

As for 1 $1000 uke or 3 uke inquiry...

I, myself, would choose the 1 $1000 uke. You only have two hands. It's great to have mulitple ukuleles, but it's ... like a paycheck. Would you rather work 3 jobs and get paid $100,000 or work one? Or a better analogy would be... would you ratehr take three okay looking girls/boys out? or would you rather take one smokin' hot boy/girl out on a date?

But at the same time, you invest all of that money into one ukulele... and there might be a risk of you not enjoying it. I think everyone should have a ukulele made in Hawaii one day, when they're ready. Why? Because ukulele makers need more money!!! :D But seriously, if you're serious about leaning ukulele, you only need one really nice ukulele.

Jake once said to me... "yes, they are expensive, but you only need one" and if it's good enough for Jake, it's good enough for me... but I think I need 5 or so :D and a custom!!! :P

ceviche
05-11-2010, 02:58 PM
After reading these posts, I have to ask how many of is have played a 1000$ 'ukulele?

Me? 8-string Kamaka. Not bragging, but scope out my quiver below. Money from an on-the-job injury settlement got me that and the Martin. Helps to be unlucky sometimes.

--Dave E.

ceviche
05-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Hey John, ahahahahaaha I have one and you dont' ahahahahahaha ! well, the tenor anyways XD... hehe
:rofl:

As for 1 $1000 uke or 3 uke inquiry...

I, myself, would choose the 1 $1000 uke. You only have two hands. It's great to have mulitple ukuleles, but it's ... like a paycheck. Would you rather work 3 jobs and get paid $100,000 or work one? Or a better analogy would be... would you ratehr take three okay looking girls/boys out? or would you rather take one smokin' hot boy/girl out on a date?

But at the same time, you invest all of that money into one ukulele... and there might be a risk of you not enjoying it. I think everyone should have a ukulele made in Hawaii one day, when they're ready. Why? Because ukulele makers need more money!!! :D But seriously, if you're serious about leaning ukulele, you only need one really nice ukulele.

Jake once said to me... "yes, they are expensive, but you only need one" and if it's good enough for Jake, it's good enough for me... but I think I need 5 or so :D and a custom!!! :P
:agree:
Support the Hawaiian uke builders and date the hottie! Do it once, and you'll never go back. I was naively seduced by my KoAloha soprano, and now I won't touch anything but a Kama'aina uke. Sure, they're not cheap, but a uke is a matter of pride and passion in Hawaii. You can hear the love!

--Dave E.

cornfedgroove
05-11-2010, 03:43 PM
for the record:

I never dated ugly chicks...

Nuprin
05-11-2010, 03:47 PM
I'll take the $1000 uke anyday of the week.

Paul December
05-11-2010, 03:58 PM
for the record:

I never dated ugly chicks...

For the record ...
... I've never dated a "boy/girl" ... attractive or not :eek:
Well, to be honest there was that one time in Brasil, but I was drunk, so I don't think that counts :rolleyes:

GVlog
05-11-2010, 04:04 PM
I have, and $1K+ ukes are very nice.

However, I'm look at it from a realistic point of view. I don't gig. I don't need projection or volume. I'm still early in my tuition. Tone from $350 ukes is rather decent if not darn good. Music is my inspiration and I don't need the qualities of a $1K+ uke to motivate me to practice.

I know myself and my needs. Based on all that, I'll take the versatility and utility of 4 ukes (as outlined in my previous post) over one $1K uke. Easy decision. :)

StereoJoker
05-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm going to have to bend these rules a little bit and go with a third option that sort of compromises the two (also revising my post).

Just two ukes: the RISA and the Kala Pocket (acacia).

The first would be a main play (and great for rocking outs), and the Pocket would be a nice, ridiculously challenging addition to my collection of tiny instruments.

Actually, it's more like 1.25 ukuleles. ;) /stilldisqualified

Paul December
05-11-2010, 04:19 PM
After reading these posts, I have to ask how many of is have played a 1000$ 'ukulele? I would honestly take a koaloha tenor over 3 ukes totaling 1000$. Everyone that has been here for awhile know I'm a Mele fanboy but once I got my first high end uke I was ruined. So it would have to be a nice $1000 uke for me and I wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere. Heck, I just took my koaloha concert on a 1000 mile motorcycle ride.

Hey John, I was wondering why I hadn't heard you mention Mele lately...
...I better never try a Koaloha! :eek:

Chris Tarman
05-11-2010, 04:54 PM
I think I'd take 3 less expensive but well-made ukes over one $1000 uke. I've played a couple of $1000 ukes (very briefly), and they are nice, but I kind of like collecting things, and one of the things I like about ukuleles is they are small and relatively inexpensive, allowing me to own several. I also don't think I am good enough (yet) for a really high-end uke. Of course, I did spend $700-ish on my '30s Martin, but that was more because I like having things that are no longer made.
Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to have a $1000 ukulele someday! But for now I am still exploring different sounds and feels.
BTW, this may be blasphemous, but I played a Koaloha soprano in a shop in Denver a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say, I wasn't wowed. It was nice, and sounded good, but it didn't knock me out the way I would expect a $500 soprano to.

haole
05-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm good in the low- to mid-range uke department (Harmony, Makala, Flea), and $1000 can get me a used Pineapple Sunday or a less-fancy Mya Moe. So I'd have to go with one really nice uke to keep my Kamaka and KoAloha company.

cletus
05-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Quantity. A Fluke, a Flea, and maybe a Mainland or another Kala. I'm intimidated by the high end stuff at the moment.

Teek
05-11-2010, 10:08 PM
I pretty much have the 1K uke now, and don't want to part with it, it's my only tenor.

I would go for the three, because I bought all but 2 of mine used, all for roughly 1/2 retail, and one is a white label Kamaka concert I love, so there's the solid koa and better than the new ones, and one is a cheapie Ohana Vita soprano that I love the snot out of (she went to the beach today and I had no worries and she sounds just great, so much fun) and another is a concert sized CBU with awesome sound, then there's the $65 baritone that just sings, and that's four for just under 1K there. So there's 3 sizes, laminates and solids, and 3 different tunings.

Unless that grand includes cases...

clayton56
05-11-2010, 10:23 PM
well, a $1,000 uke will sound no better than a $600 one, it's just got some fancier inlay and binding and such. So I would get the $600 one for ideal spatial melodic sound, a $300 mahogany import like Mainland or Pono for some hard strumming, and a $100 fruit replica to toss in the car.

experimentjon
05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
I would have to take just one. At that price, it'd be a KoAloha Tenor. I love that sound.

Although it is true that I could get a lot more variety with a Fluke tenor, Applause acoustic-electric tenor, Bugsgear tenor, Mainland soprano, and Kala Concert as well. XD

Still, I don't even have time to play that many different ones anyway. :(

deach
05-12-2010, 01:31 AM
well, a $1,000 uke will sound no better than a $600 one. ....

I've heard crappy sounding $1000+ ukes and great sound $100 ukes but overall I'd have to disagree with you.

dnewton2
05-12-2010, 01:44 AM

I read this thread last night and posted then. This morning I was thinking this same thing (Quoted above). If the best uke you have played is a Kala or Mainland (Both make fine instruments) you really cannot answer this question. There is a huge difference in my nice ukulele vs my less costly ukulele. I think people should think less about the $ amount and just ask Qualitly vs Quanity? A Quality uke may only cost $300. Just because something cost more does not make it better.

I think I would have chose Quanity before I played a nice instrument, but now there is no way I can chose three ukes over a really nice one.

haolejohn
05-12-2010, 01:44 AM
Me? 8-string Kamaka. Not bragging, but scope out my quiver below. Money from an on-the-job injury settlement got me that and the Martin. Helps to be unlucky sometimes.

--Dave E.

LOL!! You used worker's comp, and I used Financial Aid:)

haolejohn
05-12-2010, 01:49 AM
I read this thread last night and posted then. This morning I was thinking this same thing (Quoted above). If the best uke you have played is a Kala or Mainland (Both make fine instruments) you really cannot answer this question. There is a huge difference in my nice ukulele vs my less costly ukulele. I think people should think less about the $ amount and just ask Qualitly vs Quanity? A Quality uke may only cost $300. Just because something cost more does not make it better.

I think I would have chose Quanity before I played a nice instrument, but now there is no way I can chose three ukes over a really nice one.

Mr. Newton Great minds think alike.