Aquila Nylgut C string

grantmcclintock

Reaction score
Played guitar for years. Just got my first uke, which I love. I have Aquila Nylgut strings on it, which seem very nice, but the C string overrides the other three (sounds louder). Feels like I need to "underplay" it. Is it me or is there an adjustment I should make. Thanks.

Welcome to UU!!

I think it just takes some getting used to...

As the re-entrant tuning's lowest note, the C appear to me to be the loudest. I wonder if this is partially because it is a thicker gauge than the rest and will arguably get a more vigorous pluck than the rest for a given strum.

I have Aquilas on two sopranos and notice the following phenomenon on both. After a few minutes of playing, the C string goes flat and needs sharpening. Thereafter, the C stays in tune for many minutes without needing retuning. if I leave either instrument for a few hours, when I play the four strings, the C string is usually sharp. The cycle then repeats. Other strings obviously go out and need tuning - but not with the regularity of the C or in the repeatable cycle described above. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

Played guitar for years. Just got my first uke, which I love. I have Aquila Nylgut strings on it, which seem very nice, but the C string overrides the other three (sounds louder). Feels like I need to "underplay" it. Is it me or is there an adjustment I should make. Thanks.

Grant, yeah it's a bit louder. Probably because of the thickness. You might want to switch them out with some Worth brown or clear strings. The C string on the worths is closer (gauge wise) to the rest of the strings due to them being 100 % fluorocarbon and not a nylon hybrid. The gauges are G = 0.0244" C = 0.0291" E = 0.0260" and A = 0.0224"
PS they are overall a bit physical thinner than the nylgut if you don't mind that, but the volume and tone properties are very balanced IMHO. They are a very popular choice for uke players..

Top Bottom