Oh no she didn't

Valerie

Reaction score
Last edited:
It was an Ovation/Applause mandolin....

lol, now I feel like an idiot... I coulda sworn it was an 8 string uke.

Ah well, that's what I get.

lol, now I feel like an idiot... I coulda sworn it was an 8 string uke.

Ah well, that's what I get.

So now us mandolin players should flood your inbox?

Jude

Well, a mandolin is not a "small guitar" either. Don't they even brief the judges on what the contestants are playing?

But if someone like Valerie who plays uke can't even tell the difference, can we really blame Ellen?

sorry, is there a video somewhere?

Ellen is a comedian. Though I didn't see it, I am pretty sure she was joking with the small guitar comment. She has has people play the uke on her show before like Jason Castro or Ingrid Michaelson. So I am sure she knows what one is. And if she wasn't joking, who cares.

Yeah, I knew she was joking. And honestly I really didn't care. I just thought it would be funny for her to get some letters from "mad" ukers.

Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMNl8pB9v2Y

And to my own (very very shakey defense-- I didn't watch all the close up bits. I really only came in the room for the last few seconds of the song and then the judges comments.) If I'd seen the fret board better I'd have known.

That said. I do think the way he was playing- it sounds a lot more like a uke than a guitar.

I don't watch any of those shows, but when did they start using instruments? I thought that was just a vocals thing.

Ellen is a comedian. Though I didn't see it, I am pretty sure she was joking with the small guitar comment. She has has people play the uke on her show before like Jason Castro or Ingrid Michaelson. So I am sure she knows what one is. And if she wasn't joking, who cares.

I feel the same way....who cares???? :agree:

"Let's flood her in box," he said.

I don't watch any of those shows, but when did they start using instruments? I thought that was just a vocals thing.

I don't remember exactly, but they started allowing instruments several seasons ago. Usually it seems to end up being pretty gimmicky, but some of them can play pretty well and it adds to their performances.

This year there have been more guitar players than ever before. Makes it interesting, especially since the vocal talent seems weaker this year.

there was some guy on american idiot, I mean idol, this season (I think) with a ukulele. He sang a song called "I'm Yours," you may or may not have heard of it :D. But as I recall, his uke playing was pretty horrendous, he would strum every eight word or so with no discernible rhythm and with a complete disregard for the chords. I don't think he made it far, or if he did, it certainly wasn't with the ukulele.

EDIT: Okay, so I went looking and found it on youtube. It's not nearly as horrible as I remember it (so I maybe take back what I said about chords), but that doesn't mean I have to like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Ek85b6aAg

Last edited:
Considering this season's low ratings of American Idol, her inbox must already be flooded.

I saw that vid of Bette Midler playing a Flea on her show...better than this season's American "Open Mike" Idol...

Top Bottom