I just got my new S&J Spalted Mango Concert Pineapple Ukulele!

honube

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have spent most of my time on here buying ukes and searching for your good advice, but I had to share this with you. I had read in some earlier posts about Emil Bader creating impressive ukes for reasonable prices, so I wanted to check it out. I found that he only sells through www.globalarts.com in Hawaii so I sent an email to their store to see when Mr. Bader might have some mango pineapples available for sale. Sue wrote back saying that she had 3 available and just hadn't gotten them listed on the site yet. She sent me pictures and let me pick the one I wanted of the 3. (So she probably still has 2 unlisted ones in stock!)
The price was only $215.00 shipped to F lorida! I received it today and it is beautiful! I am going to try to attach photos.
It is solid spalted mango, mahogany neck, and lychie fretboard, with abalone fret markers.
The tone is mellow, but not quiet. It has plenty of volume to my ears.
The only negative thing I would say is that there is a very small visible gap between the fretboard and the neck where the neck meets the body....but it is not obvious and causes no problems.

That's a really nice looking uke for $215!

Very Nice! Is it a concert scale? Such pretty grain. Maybe can post sound clips? That seems like a very good deal.

Very Nice! Is it a concert scale? Such pretty grain. Maybe can post sound clips? That seems like a very good deal.

Yes, it is almost exactly the same scale length as my KoAloha concert.

...and I had just gotten my UAS under control. I heart spalted mango.

Ditto what everyone else said, it's a beautiful uke. I have a Lanikai SM-T, and I the wood grain on Spalted Mango is really something to look at. Thanks for posting.

Hi all,
since Ahnko is not around to chime in please allow me to speak highly of Mr. Bader's ukuleles as well. I met Mr. Bader (and coincidentally Ahnko Honu) at his home on Oahu and I really enjoy the ukulele I got from him. They are very reasonably priced and they are hand made, so of course they may not be factory-perfect cosmetically but the sound and the playability are beyond compare. Mr. Bader will also build you a very expensive ultra-high-quality ukulele if that is what you are after, but my understanding about these ukuleles on globalarts.com are to provide quality instruments at reasonable cost. Mr. Bader also likes to use wood that is found near his home, so you will see unusual woods like lychee and guava which really adds a nice island flair to his ukuleles. My UAS kicked in big time when I went to his house, and I do have another ukulele in the works which I can't really afford, but I also can't afford NOT to have it, if you know what I mean. And around here, I *KNOW* you all know what I mean!

Nice ukulele honube, be sure to Join the Bader's Raiders group.

You purchased a very nice uke, and got me on the move to do something. So, I just purchased my first Bader Uke-a tenor in Milo wood. Liked the idea of the local wood by a local luthier and it looked beautiful. I am a new uker and am enjoying the learning process.
Mike

Top Bottom