New WORTH strings sound great!...but aren't they just fluorocarbon fishing wire?

E-Lo Roberts

Reaction score
Here's the question...

I just spent $16.75 plus shipping for two sets of the much hyped WORTH Brown tenor uke strings. I was using Aquila strings which I loved.

But when I put on the worths on my uke, much to my surprise, these things sounded great. I mean, really great. Incredible balance and tone! I believe I have been converted over to the worth family.

However, I've heard that they are just fluorocarbon fishing wire dressed up in fancy ukulele packaging.

Since fishing wire is very cheap, anyone know the REAL truth behind these wonderful sounding fluorocarbons -- Secret, special processing?? or just special order from Bob's Bait & Tackle Shop??

Thanks, e.lo...

There was thread about using different gauge fishing line to try and save some money. I can not find it now, it was quite a while ago. Ultimatley you have to buy 4 or 5 different line sizes. The only way it would save money, according to the tread, was to buy a lot of each string and use it for like 20 years. An you still did not save that much. I think the fishing line you would need is still pretty costly.

As for if it is the same, They are both probably made in the same factory under same processes, but I am not sure.

A lot of fishing tackle stores have a fishing reel line replacement service where they remove the old line and respool with new. They charge by the foot. Take your Worth strings and have them match the diameters with fluorocarbon fishing line and let us know how they do. You'll only need a few feet of each size.

Jude

Jude, IF the question is in fact that WORTH's supplier is simply Bob's Bait & Tackle Shop, then your suggestion is a great one. Thanks for the thought... e.lo..

I am not sure how often you change strings, but typically I use two sets a year.
I doubt my piggy bank will notice much difference from buying strings sets vs. fishing line.
If you are using a lot of strings you can probably buy them in bulk.

That was one of my favorite threads. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18975
I was tempted, but found it was difficult to find all the different sizes. I think the fishing line will be clear, not brown like the Worth Brown. I think there is a difference in sound between the clear and the brown. So, I am not sure if you could absolutely match the browns with fishing line.
Also, there is cheaper fishing line, and more expensive fishing line. The Worth- type was close to the more expensive fishing line. I decided I didn't have the room to store all those spools, and that I use different strings on different ukuleles, so it wouldn't cover all my ukulele string needs.
–Lori

That was one of my favorite threads. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18975
I was tempted, but found it was difficult to find all the different sizes. I think the fishing line will be clear, not brown like the Worth Brown. I think there is a difference in sound between the clear and the brown. So, I am not sure if you could absolutely match the browns with fishing line.
Also, there is cheaper fishing line, and more expensive fishing line. The Worth- type was close to the more expensive fishing line. I decided I didn't have the room to store all those spools, and that I use different strings on different ukuleles, so it wouldn't cover all my ukulele string needs.
–Lori
Hey Lori, thanks for the link back to the older thread.

After reading that thread and doing some fishing bait shop email searching, it's "clear" or "brown" that WORTH strings are indeed fishing wire, since they are 100% fluorocarbon, which is what some types of fishing wire are made of. They have simply found the correct gauges that work well on ukuleles, and luckly for all of us, sound incredible on ukuleles!

I'd close this thread for redundancy if I could... can't I don't think I can. Thanks everyone for your comments.... e.lo... PS.. GONE FISHING :)

Last edited:
They may be the same material but the manufacturing process may be different. I don't know if this is the case with Worth's but it is with some of the other string makers. Your best strings are not only extruded, as fishing line is, but also pulled through a die in order to maintain a consistent diameter. Personally I've never found Worth's to be good for anything but catching fish with anyway. And even then I have little luck!

They pretty much are fishing line. It's just a happy coincidence that they sound great on some ukes.

I remember MGM saying that the black nylon strings sold by Martin, D'Addario, GHS, Hilo, etc. are made from the same stuff as brush bristles.

Aquila might be one of the only uke string companies that uses material developed specifically for making strings!

Pretty funny discussion...i just strung my mainland with Martin fluorocarbons and when i was putting them on I was thinking the exact same thing (more specifically i was thinking..."i wish i didnt just snip my aquilas off for these)...but they honestly ended up sounding great and i'm gonna stick with them for a while

They may be the same material but the manufacturing process may be different. I don't know if this is the case with Worth's but it is with some of the other string makers. Your best strings are not only extruded, as fishing line is, but also pulled through a die in order to maintain a consistent diameter. Personally I've never found Worth's to be good for anything but catching fish with anyway. And even then I have little luck!

Ouch! That one hurt Chuck.

Pretty funny discussion...i just strung my mainland with Martin fluorocarbons and when i was putting them on I was thinking the exact same thing (more specifically i was thinking..."i wish i didnt just snip my aquilas off for these)...but they honestly ended up sounding great and i'm gonna stick with them for a while

Same here. I used Martins to restring my OS soprano -- I accidentally snapped one of the strings on my uke, panicked, and ran out to the only music store in my area that was open at the time. Being a Guitar Center, all they had were Martin sopranos so I lucked out as far as size goes. It wasn't until my dad asked me why I was putting fishing wire on my instrument that I realized they were practically the same thing. The only problem is, yeah, finding the right gauges (I tried looking around and just decided it wasn't the hassle).

I'm still stuck on Nylgut, though. I dunno what it is, but I just really, really like them.

over on the fishing forum they're talking about how their favorite line is really just ukulele string.

I almost forgot to ask this - is it not possible to wind silver or bronze thread around flourocarbon? I haven't noticed any flourocarbon sets with a wound 4th string.

I'm still stuck on Nylgut, though. I dunno what it is, but I just really, really like them.

StereoJoker, yeah I know what you mean. The thing I love about the Nylgut is that great "feel" they have. The process they use gives a rough outer texture to the strings that feels very organic and natural. I also prefer the extra thickness of each string. The worths are a bit thin for me, however, the worths have a better volume and tone balance between each string (to my ears). And the upper register notes tend to ring out better. I guess my perfect strings would have the Nylgut feel, texture, and thickness I like, with the volume and tone balance of the worths... Ah... decisions, decisions.... e.lo...

I have tried many types of strings, yet I keep coming back to Worths. I like the way they feel. I use the clear ones. Who cares if they are made out of fishing line ! They sound good on all my ukes, that's the important point.

I am really liking them. They sound great, or at least make the uke sound great. They keep in tune very well. I think they keep their zing for a long time. They seem to compliment the flea well.

That joke needs more love

Top Bottom