Just picked up a cigar box... suggestions?

UncleElvis

Reaction score
So, I just picked up a Romeo Y Julietta box. It's really nice looking, with the paper all intact.
It closes with a tack, so, unlike my other box, I'm not as loathe to seal it shut.

Problem is, it's 8" x 6" x 2 7/8", which is an odd size.

I'm thinking my options are:

Make another small ukulele, I want to play with a stick concept for the neck (like the cigar box guitars)... one day, I'll remember what that is called.
Make a tiny amp.

Any other ideas, suggestions, thoughts, concepts, desires or just bizarre "Hey, you know what would be cool"s?

Just thinking... How big/small would the sound hole/s have to be for this...
(Note to self... go check Erich's formula and do math... *grin*)

I've also been looking into regulations on the import of Cuban cigar boxes into the States and, as far as I can tell, it's not illegal, but I'm no lawyer.

If anyone has any more information on it, please let me know, as I have a limited supply of boxes that I would be more than happy to shoot a couple over to folks who might be interested in them.

Thanks for your time

Just did the math for the sound holes... They're gonna be TINY, which, I guess is good.

I'm learning so much here...

thank you ALL so much

its called a neck-through design...

FYI, its a general consensus among cigar box builders that while Romeo and Julieta boxes look nice, they arent so hot for sound. It is also said that if you want to use one, use the back of the box for the sound board.

http://handmademusic.ning.com/

Really? I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

I'm checking the Handmade link now... I think I've peeped it before, but didn't really pay attention.

Are there cuban boxes that do sound good? Any recommendattions?

its called a neck-through design...

FYI, its a general consensus among cigar box builders that while Romeo and Julieta boxes look nice, they arent so hot for sound. It is also said that if you want to use one, use the back of the box for the sound board.

http://handmademusic.ning.com/

That's why I use my Romeo and Juliet box to hold my braces. Even though, I've seen one on youtube and the sound was... like from heaven or something... or maybe there were other factors. Wait for it... wait for it....

Bering 25 Torpedo spanish cedar box joint 13.5" scale soprano thin the sides from the inside remove top replace with sitka spruce .060...
*Hickup*

I will buy this box if you have it. It's the perfect soprano uke box... and it makes its own stand.

Last edited:
the best thing about that site...live chat.

alot of experienced builders there. Down to earth chaps...real people. I've never bothered to navigate through forums, I just ask in chat. BAM, done!

Nothing wrong with Romeo & Julietta.
Fiberboard top yes, but the still sound good. I have built and sold two 4 string Mandolins (Long uke , tuned wrong, lol) built out of the larger boxes.
A 71/2" x71/2" x 3" Reserva Real Box that holds the 50x7 Churchills is what I would look for. May even build one myself.
I'm assuming yours is a Robusto box ... I could see a soprano there. Too bad the one I have is cut up. I do it just to see .....

Matt

I edited this because I just realized ( when I reread my post ) I know waaaay too much about cigar boxes!

Top Bottom