Makai MK-70 Tenor

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
mk70.jpg

It finally came after a week of waiting.

I opted to grab one of these when MGM noted that they are made in the same factory in China that makes Ohana. He could not have been more correct. It is very Ohana'ish.

Action: The setup was atrocious out of the box (I did not buy it from MGM), I had to sand the saddle forever... but finally it has decent action. The fretwork however, is perfect. No sharp edges, burs or un-even spots.

Finish: The satin finish is impeccable. Everything is smooth, clean and perfect at the glue joints.

Wood: The laminate mahogany back and sides are matched well. I was shocked to find that the top actually is SOLID spruce. The rosewood fretboard and bridge are perfect. The nato neck is solid as a rock and has much more "beef" than most uke's, much like the Ohana necks do.

Tuners: They are geared chrome plated and closed. Smooth action and holds a solid tune.

Tone: It came with GHS strings (not a fan) with a wound C. I quickly put on Aquila's, but I left the wound C to try out a bit. It does seem to even the volume. The solid spruce top has outstanding projection and has a slightly louder and brighter tone than my Koa and Mahogany uke's. The tone is not as "clunky" as my Kala tenor. I kind of like clunky for some things, but it is nice to find a smoother variation in this uke.

Considering price point, stock action and all other aspects... I give it a 4 out of 5.

Price Paid: $110.00
Bought From: nicomsupply on eBay.

Last edited:
Great honest review (and as noted by MGM) one that opens up other options and brings down to earth people's search for a good factory uke!!!

As an aside, I wish more UU members would at least comment when folks like yourself take the time to do these reviews (and I've been guilty of this myself).

Nice to say "Welcome to the forum" and also good to say "Thank you" from even a few on a review thread with at this point 102 views!!! I know you and others probably don't expect it and you could say reviews don't lend themselves to additional posts (or do they?)

Especially when so much effort goes into further inflating the number of posts on a particular general discussion thread...

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. Good information and honest opinions are deeply appreciated. Seems like a good price for a nice ukulele.

Makai MK70

These are very nice sounding ukulele's and you can't get better sound for the $$$$. The Makai Ukulele's come from San Francisco, and our most popular entry level ukulele's. Prior to getting the Makai's, our most popular entry level uke's were the Makala's from Kala. FYI.. MK70 brand new at the Aloha Warehouse only $99.00.:shaka:

wow, thanx for the response guys. I did not expect any so I am just now viewing this thread again. Still loving the uke, so much so... I ordered a second one from MGM. It came today and is flawless.

wow, thanx for the response guys. I did not expect any so I am just now viewing this thread again. Still loving the uke, so much so... I ordered a second one from MGM. It came today and is flawless.

Yes, thanks for the review, because of it and your pm I just finished ordering one from MGM. Mahalo nui loa!

Thanks for the review. Really. You've made my decision even harder between the Makai spruce concert and the Lanikai spruce concert!

Thanks for the excellent review. I ended up getting a Makai as my first uke based on similar comments I found posted here.

Top Bottom