Bandsaw is busted.

fahrner

Reaction score
Just on the outside chance that someone here can help. The pivot arm that allows adjusting the upper wheel tracking broke. It's a casting with the wheel shaft and two pins, one each side. Got the replacement part. The question is how do I get the old pins out? It's not a continuous rod. They are not spring loaded and they don't thread in. No roll pins, set screws or anything that I can see. Looks like they are pressed in with no way to grab the pin to see if it would pull out.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1827..jpg
    IMG_1827..jpg
    88 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1826..jpg
    IMG_1826..jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1828..jpg
    IMG_1828..jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1829..jpg
    IMG_1829..jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 42
Tried talking to the technical department of the manufacturer? I find it is always the best place to start...
Pete, thanks.
That was the first, second and third thing I did. They have no phone or on-line support for this item.
The saw is probably 12 years old. Was lucky they had the casting I needed.
It's funny, their best recommendation was to try a web site called 'managemylife.com'. I asked if they were kidding or should I just be offended.
Turns out it's a place to find manuals and information from appliances making noises to your lawn turning brown. Was interesting but no help.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't you just pull the whole adjustment assembly out then pull the pins from the sides? From the first photo, it looks like the assembly just slides in the two outer supports from the top.

Yes Andrew, I am able to pull the plate adjustment assy out of the slot. Only had it there for the pic.
The pins are recessed inside the bosses and can't get hold of them.
Tried jamming a jewelers screwdriver in the end to lock the pin and rotate the arm. No luck. Will try some heat next. If I can expand the casting maybe I can slowly walk the pins out.

Is there some kind of oil port or something on the shaft casing? Only thing I can think of is attach air and blow them out, kinda like you would keep pressure on a cylinder while working on your lifters/valves. Can't see the whole thing from the pics though. *scratches head*. There should be an easy way.

It could be that the pins don't come out, they go in. If you are able to press them in past the edge of the mounting plate the broken piece will easily slide out. The new piece could then be installed with new pins. An exploded view of this assembly would be helpful and would probably reveal the solution. What is the manufacturer of this saw? I've rebuilt quite a few old woodworking machines and have found many owner's manuals (and solutions to this kind of problem) at owwm.com.

I had the same thing happen to me. I just bought the entire slide assembly pre-assembled. That made it a lot less of a headache.

You might try getting a hardwood dowel (smaller than the pins) and a rubber mallet. That would be my first approach if I were doing it again.

PM if you would like and I'll look at mine when I get home and see if I can't figure out a good method for you.

~DB

Last edited:
I had a look at this Site http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-28206-type-band-saw-parts-c-3275_3481_3485.html ...it looks similar to yours.. there is a long pin http://www.ereplacementparts.com/pin-pi-84771.html item # 23 that go's all the way thro' the bracket its splined at one end to make an interference fit at one end..so it needs to be driven out with a drift or press.. going on your pic I would drive it from left to right...that's the way it looks to me.
Very similar indeed except the Delta has one continuous pin, a good idea, where mine has two short pins. From Ken W's link it looks like my Craftsman was made by Emerson Tool Co. circa 1996.

Thank you everyone. Using a micro torch was able to inch one of the pins out then pry it up enough to get hold of the other. I really appreciate everyones comments which ultimately led me to the final solution.

Sorry for the bad pics. Too close for my camera to focus. The two pins were pressed in to the casting far enough that there was no way to get hold of them. Not enough room to drive them in further and no means to blow or suck them out (although I did not try the latter).
Trying to find a real person to talk to at Sears, especially regarding a 12-14 year old power tool is next to impossible. At the same time considering all the manufacturers they have used, it is understandable. At least the part was available. So for $22.00 and some minor grief she'll be up and running again. I'm fortunate that this is not my only bandsaw.

Attachments

• IMG_1831..jpg
    IMG_1831..jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1830..jpg
    IMG_1830..jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1832..jpg
    IMG_1832..jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Top Bottom