What to sing/play for best friend's wedding reception?

NatalieS

Reaction score
Oh boy... I'm in trouble with this one. My best friend is getting married in 3 weeks and I'll be a bridesmaid in the wedding. We started joking that I could pull out my soprano uke and sing something during the wedding reception. Well, I just saw her whole family this weekend and they all mentioned how much they're sincerely looking forward to hearing me sing. I DON'T LIKE TO SING IN FRONT OF PEOPLE! Let me just make that clear... I get major stagefright for some reason, even in front of my own family.

I really don't want to let her family down by not singing. It's not that I can't sing, I just get so nervous. Do you all have any suggestions for a family-friendly upbeat love song for a soprano voice? I want to stay upbeat so I have less chance of getting nervous like I would with a slow song. I love the song "You and I" by Ingrid Michaelson and sing it comfortably, but I'm afraid the line "Maybe I wanna do like bunnies do with you" is not appropriate for the kiddies that will be present. Any suggestions at all?

Especially since you're nervous, I would choose something you are totally comfortable with, doesn't strain your range and you've played a ton, so you're more likely to remember the chords by muscle memory, because your mind might blank a little. So if the Ingrid M. song fits that bill, I say go with it! The bunnies reference is kind of sweet and will fly right over the heads of most children, and it's presented in such a innocent light that I doubt you could offend anyone with it. Comfort and ease should be your focus. And don't play Creep by Radiohead, I did that at a wedding once, not cool, man. (I'm kidding)

Hey, I like your avatar.

Is that a calico goldfish?

As you can see I like koi.

RE: your request for assistance, I'm an old-schooler (30's, 40's, 50's love songs) so I probably won't be of much help.

Just work on some you know (change a few lyrics if necessary) but keep playing and singing them over and over for
these next few weeks until you've got them down cold. If you're like I am, 7-10 times and you'll be thinking about
the song all day and going over the timing, lyrics, chords, etc.

Just get comfortable with playing and singing your song, smile and do it confidently and your friends will love it. They
want you to succeed. They'll probably be more nervous than you when you perform.

Sing to them from your heart. It's not so much a performance as a gift to those you love. Keep thinking of them and
your own concerns will fade to black.

Think of the message of the lyrics and if your can "Amen" them from your heart, you'll feel more confident about it.

You're going do to very well because you can sing and you love your friends.

They'll appreciate it and you'll all have stories to tell about it for a long time to come.

Let us know how it turns out!

Just know that all of us (ALL of us) at UU are on your side, all the way!

How about Beatles "Will you still love me at 64" Might make them think a little and crowd will love it :) :) Lozark

I said that tongue in cheek, but actually I sang that with my piano Accomp. about 12 years ago at a friends wedding. She was Jewish and he was agnostic, in their late 40's, and the crowd needed a lift, and it went over quite well. I did a slide show of about 75 pics I took of their wedding and they asked me to set the song as background to the slide show. They still talk about it. So good luck. It can be a really memorable occasion and they will thank you for many years. Be sure to record for posterity, and laughs later :) :) Lozark

As much as I (and everyone else here) encourages people to play, I will say that if you're that nervous about doing it, don't do it! Just tell the bride and/or bride-mom what you told us--you were joking, you're not comfortable playing in front of crowds, and you'd really rather not do it.

If they like you enough to make you a bridesmaid, then they like you enough to understand and not be "let down."

Another option would be to find someone who wants to sing (and there are always people who want to sing) and just accompany them on the uke. Or sing a duet with someone else. Or pick a song that everyone can--and should--sing along to. The key is to notch up the level of participation somewhere beyond "just you".

That's what I usually do. I don't get nervous on stage much, but I just plain don't like having the "spotlight" on me too brightly. So when I play impromptu piano at parties, it's usually leading a sing-along or something. (Sweet Caroline works wonders!) The other week I trotted out my accordion at a party, but played the Chicken Dance and made everyone do the dance. :)

"YMCA" is a double-whammy... it's good for getting people to sing and do the hand/arm movements. :)

A third option is, of course, to just get drunker than Cootie Brown beforehand.

JJ

Last edited:
Since your big concern seems to be singing (rather than playing?) in front of people, maybe you can enlist all the other bridesmaids to sing along with you when you play. One recently-popular wedding song is Adam Sandler's "I Wanna Grow Old With You" http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/a/adam-sandler/86287.html from The Wedding Singer. It lends itself to ukulele and the bridesmaids group could have some fun with it. For something more traditionally romantic, another very popular ukulele song is Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours." I'm partial to songs like Frank Sinatra's "The Way You Look Tonight." Anyway, good luck picking a song and have fun at the wedding.

Hello NatieS

As mds725 mentioned, I think having someone else singing with you will take the pressure off. Maybe you can ask a friend of yours, or two so you can sing but you focus more on ukulele accompaniment.

On top of that, maybe you can pick something that the attendees can sing along. I do not know the ages of the people present, but I would try (if you know the song well) a Beatles song ("Something" change she--->he?; "I will"), an Elvis song (Can't Help Falling in Love With You), "You Are my Sunshine" (nice and upbeat), "Have I Told You Lately"?.

Good Luck! You will do fine and your friend will be so happy!
Chief

Love Stinks.

For our wedding, "Whip It" by Devo was suggested, but it's prolly not appropriate for everyone! *grin*

I'm singing at a wedding on Saturday (with a band. Not good enough on ukulele to sing and play) and "Everything" by Michael Buble is one of the songs.
It's cheese on a stick, but a lovely song for a wedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPUJIbXN0WY

Thank you for the suggestions! (And LOL at some of them!) You're right, my main apprehension is with singing, not playing. My mother sings very well, sometimes professionally, and we talked about doing a duet. We're about 500 miles away from each other so it'd be a bit hard to practice beforehand, but we could do it.

The song I'm most comfortable with already is "Dream a Little Dream of Me". I really like "I Wanna Grow Old With You" and that might be a good icebreaker for me, getting some laughs. I always like making people laugh! I think if I practice a LOT and try out the song in front of people (maybe even for you guys in a video?) that I might be able to do this.

Keep the suggestions coming! I'm looking up all the ones I'm not familiar with yet.

Well, I, for one, would love to see a vid.
I'm not at the point of singing and playing either, and certainly not in front of anyone!
I applaud you for the courage!

Go for it! I've only been on the board for a little while, but this is a supportive group!

Yeah, make it a sing-along instead of a performance. If everyone sings you are covered.

The uke should be a natural at weddings, since Tiny Tim got married to Miss Vicky on the Tonight Show (although I don't know if he played anything at the wedding).

You could play "Diamonds are Forever" and "Breaking Up is Hard to Do"

Top Bottom