Spruce and Aquila

AC Baltimore

Reaction score
Well I am getting my first tastes of string to wood matches with ukes. I got my spruce top with stock GHS strings, which I did not care for. I quickly installed aquila's, after playing on them a bit... they sounded too brittle and bright on the spruce. So Aldrine being the pimp he is (Thanx for the sticker that is now on my case), got my pro arte strings to me today. I put them on the spruce and bam... warm, punchy and articulate.

On a side note, I love the aquila's on my koa and mahogany laminates.

I usually like Pro Artes quite a bit (have them on my Kamaka and Pono) but thought they sounded horrible on my Boat Paddle (which has a spruce top). Way too mellow and muted for me. So I switched back to the Worth clears they came with. They compliment the uke so nicely.

You started a good thread here. Spruce top ukuleles are some of the best values out there (Kala, also) but then there's the what to do (with strings) when you get one. I've played the Lanikai spruce top tenor and the Kala thinline, and yes with the Aquilas...no thanks. But I also share jumpingflea's suprise to your liking the Pro Artes on the spruce top, but up to a point.

I think the intial sense of changing strings in general (from an unsatisfactory option) can seem better...but then settling in...the intial relief from the Aquilas can turn on you...or maybe not. I think Pro Artes do best on koa...and I think spruce is a challenge...with maybe the Worths...or even going low G a better option with a spruce top tenor.

I have a Samick UK-60. It's got a sealed wood body, but its unfinished.. what kind of strings would sound best? It's not solid wood. Birch veneer over god-knows-what.

what kinda strings would be best for me? I want a nice barky sound when i strum it.

I have a spruce top Ohana Vita and it's only one uke of two of 10 that I own except a cedar CBU that I like with Aquilas. BUT it came with them so will try something else later. Interesting thread, I pretty much prefer Worths on all the others, but still open to trying some others. Some I will not waste even $4 on, considering the time to restring and stretch and settle.

I have a Samick UK-60. It's got a sealed wood body, but its unfinished.. what kind of strings would sound best? It's not solid wood. Birch veneer over god-knows-what.

what kinda strings would be best for me? I want a nice barky sound when i strum it.

On something like Samick or Oscar Schmidt ukes, the Aquila strings work well because they drive the thicker top better.

Top Bottom