Got my uke!

Reaction score
I drove to a bunch of stores [ unfortunately, Compass music in madeira Beach says "OPEN" but it is usually actually CLOSED. I drove all the way there and another waiting musician told me the owner keeps haphazard hours and so did the ice cream store next door ]
But anyway, Sam ash has doubled it's Uke stock and I tried dozens of ukes there and elsewhere and personally liked the Fender Uke the best and it was $199.00 so I got it last night!
I am thinking that i'd like to try Aquilla strings too. I don't think i'd care for any wound strings???
Do they come in high G and low G all plain, with no metal wound strings?
Do you all think different strings may be better than Aquillas?
Thanks for all your advice!
The best advice was also the most common advice- TRY THEM OUT! :)
I'm going to post some pictures of me with my uke and also try to figure out how to put a video on Youtube from my Flip Video camcorder???

Low G aquilas come with one wound. High G has no wound.
For low G without wound, I've seen people recommend Worth clear with low G. They appear to be expensive but it is because they come two sets to a pack. They also come in different tensions: light, medium, and hard.

congrats. i like the fender ukes. they look and sound exactly like the oscar schmidt ukes but with the fender headstock. please post pics!!

if you got the Fender Nohea model, which for $199 I'm assuming that's the one you got, I have the same one! I put aquilas on it at first and wasn't super crazy about it.. it didn't sound bad but I liked worth clears better. usually I like aquilas better on laminates but that wasn't the case with the nohea. But everyone has their own preferences so just try a few and see which you like better. Have fun with the new uke, I have a lot of fun with mine!

Hands down Sam Ash is doing more for getting ukes out there than GC for example...

Glad you found something you like. I've seen Fender ukes featured in vids...check out the Smashing Pumpkins dude on Ukulele Hunt as well the Train acoustc vid...

Hands down Sam Ash is doing more for getting ukes out there than GC for example...
I wish we had a Sam Ash around here, I went to a local Guitar Center and they didn't have a single uke in stock! And they looked at me like I had two heads for asking why not. Luckily we have a great acoustic music shop which is stocking a lot more ukes.

I wish we had a Sam Ash around here, I went to a local Guitar Center and they didn't have a single uke in stock! And they looked at me like I had two heads for asking why not. Luckily we have a great acoustic music shop which is stocking a lot more ukes.

that's sad man. down here in happy valley, all the best in music stores have plenty in stock. i know the acoustic shop downtown has quite a few ukes. they even have some of the k brands on occasion (they didn't when i was there). the guy totally was fine with me playing every uke he had and was cool to talk to, also. he's decent at the uke.

i also agree with the play as many as you can statement (that is if you can).

You can use the Aquilas for strings 1-3, and use the Worth Clear for the Low G unwound. That is what I did, and it works fine. You can get a pack of 4 Worth Low G strings (not a set of strings, just low G) at this site http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=19567&cat=7&page=1 , or try MusicGuyMic on eBay, and see if he has them (try emailing him because he may not have a listing for all of the stock he carries).
–Lori

Congrats. That's a uke firendly sam ash. You should check out Tampa Ukulele Society. They are having another Uke Night at Cleawater Sam Ash in June. At the last one, they gave away Kalas and some Lunas, along with tuners and straps. I think I may had played your uke if it was one of the display models. Congrats.

Congrats. That's a uke firendly sam ash. You should check out Tampa Ukulele Society. They are having another Uke Night at Cleawater Sam Ash in June. At the last one, they gave away Kalas and some Lunas, along with tuners and straps. I think I may had played your uke if it was one of the display models. Congrats.

YES! There were 2 of these Fenders on display. One had a bit nicer grain wood on the bottom back part, but this one played just a little easier.
I will definately check into attending the Uke Night at Cleawater Sam Ash in June!
THANKS!

Top Bottom