Anyone try ukulele picks?

I just bought that pick. They are not stiff so you can only strum very slowly. Fingers work much better. I also bought a "Wedgie" rubber pick to try. Haven't gotten it yet. But yeah disappointed in the leather pick. Sounds okay but definitely holds you back.

I've got a few felt picks, but they're wack. not feeling it. i use fingernails. and my thumb pick. i love my thumb pick.

I've tried the felt picks, but I've never liked the sound of picks on any nylon strung instrument. My playing style also involves a lot of mixing of strums, fingerpicking and single note runs, so a pick doesn't feel right. I do sometimes use a thumb pick if I'm playing something with a lot of melody played by the thumb.

Last edited:
Never tried leather - hate felt. When I'm playing a melodic line - like a "lead" part - I use a dunlop nylon pick .73
this one:
1153431304_4420_NYLON_STD_PICK_GRP_463X342.jpg

I have that pick. It's ok. I use it when I have to cut my nails (I can't do hardware work with nails. I just can't). I prefer using my fingers though.

Fingers only. Part of the reason I like the ukeuleles low techiness!

I've now tried both the leather one you listed and the Wedgie. For the times that I want something softer than the sound of nails, I much prefer the Wedgie. Especially the thin white ones. It's a little more consistent than the pad of my thumb and hurts my cuticles much less when brushing with the back of my knuckles.

I recently purchased an Alaska pick from Elderly Music. They are nice because it fits under your nail and you can trim or file down the pick just like your own nail.

I started on a baritone with a felt pic, went to a workshop put on by Joel Eckhaus and never used a pic again. I guess I was used to a pic from playing the guitar. Now sometimes I play the guitar with no pick and when I do use a pic on a guitar I really stuff it between my fingers so I get alot of finger meat on the string. I've just started trying a thumb pic so I can do both on the guitar.

When I strum I use my fingers, but when I play scales and shred uke I use a Dunlop Jazz III, very small and accurate.
www.myspace.com/killerukulele If you check out Uke Suite#1 or Fut Da Wok, it's a Jazz III pick.

I make my own felt picks. I tried them on the ukes, and like most of you, find them to be a pain. Ukes were made for fingers...

However...

I have found I like using these felt picks with my bass guitar at times....

I have been playing a LOT lately with my index and thumb nails, I think it's because all of my new songs are decently high up on the fretboard and the notes just sound too muted normally, especially when I'm playing a few high notes + open strings, then I REALLY need to pick the high notes or you won't hear them. I would try those alaska picks, except that I with the top was a smooth surface, not with the gaps. Because I just the top side of my nail a lot for hard strums, and it those notches would catch on strings, and it looks like some of those picks would actually damage my strings. =(

Top Bottom