An Easy way to Learn the Ukulele Fingerboard

lambchop

Reaction score
Hi. I am a new member and have been playing ukulele for about a year now, but have played fretted isntruments for more than thirty. Love it, just love it.

My main ukulele is a Boulder Creek Riptide series spruce top tenor, which I really enjoy. I also have a somewhat customized Cordoba mahogany tenor that I also enjoy. Coolest thing about it was I got it signed by Jake Shimabukuro last November. It was great seeing him.

To get to my topic, I have a blog which features a post that features an idea I came up with that shows how to master the locations of the notes on the ukulele fingerboard in a rather easy way. You may find it useful. Visit the post at:

http://lambchopukulele.blogspot.com/

I have a little method that allows you to very quickly, after reading it, learn 1/3 of the natural notes in the first twelve frets and I would look forward to your feedback on this. I am not selling this, it is just there to share and to help people with a problem I have struggled with on my other fretted instruments. Like I said, if you like it post a comment on the blog; if you really like it, follow the blog.

Thanks,
Mike
aka Lamb Chop

I just put the uke under my pillow and in the morning I know a little bit more

Seriously, thanks for the good resource, it's really C-Fab

Last edited:
Hey, this is really helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Nice job! And an interesting concept, too...

JJ

Excellent! I have always had to run some little algorithm in my head or count back and forth, this really does make it easy.

Mike, Welcome to UU and thank you for the time and effort on the fretboard lesson. I'm quite sure it will helpful document and generate positive comments. I've also added it to the UU Resource Listing.

This is awesome, thanks!

Well done. Very easy and helpful.

Thx

Nice.

A while ago I was trying to learn some new fingerings for certain songs of mine, and I wanted a simple chart to see and read, and oriented in the way I saw my uke, so I made this. It's printed out in 2 sheets and tacked on the wall above my computer. Works for me, might not for everyone though.

ukefretboardcopy.jpg

Original thread with info about it here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...e-chart-that-might-help-)&highlight=fretboard

Wow thanks for this, I thought learning the fingerboard was a challenge I was no where near ready for, but this'll make it navigable!!!

This works great! Thanks, Mike

No worries, I just didn't like any of the charts I found, they were always oriented stangely but some had some really good ideas. So I made one for myself. The part that helps me the most is that the notes are all different colors, so I can figure out alternative patterns fairly quickly. =)

Top Bottom